Author Topic: Nuts  (Read 3243 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Nuts
« on: December 06, 2010, 05:14:45 PM »
This morning at 4am I woke up to a distant clicking noise somewhere in the house and followed it into the kitchen, where I determined the refrigerator had stopped running. Since it didn't get above 35 today, the beer, cheese, bell peppers and pomegranates went outside and I lost the rest, mostly disposable stuff.

I'd been meaning to clean out the fridge anyway but I didn't want the reason to be a failure! The Sears guy is coming to check on it tomorrow, and I'm afraid he's going to tell me the compressor took a dump. I hate the idea because it's a 1961 RCA Whirlpool, which has been in the house since I bought it in 1996 and it's probably been in the house for decades. That sucker could freeze vegetables in the bottom crisper drawers!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Hornisse

Re: Nuts
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 05:44:59 PM »
Hope you can get it running again Denis.  1961 was a good year!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 05:47:16 PM »

Yikes! I was 2 in '61.......That was quite a fridge, I'd say it had a good run  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 06:02:11 PM »
My deepest sympathy in this dark hour Denis  ;) The damn fridge has been running 3 years longer than I've been around.  ;D
Digresion our specialty!

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 06:26:47 PM »
What made this country great.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 06:46:53 PM »

Look at the bright side....you've got cold beer  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 06:47:09 PM »
At my old tv station there was an old fridge from the 40's that has run continuously since it was new and AFAIK is still humming along in the carpenter's shop.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 07:01:48 PM »
At my old tv station there was an old fridge from the 40's that has run continuously since it was new and AFAIK is still humming along in the carpenter's shop.

using twice the electricity as the transmitter  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Digresion our specialty!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 07:12:20 PM »
My 70s vintage fridge died last summer, its replacement uses less than half the energy. 

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 08:27:10 PM »
using twice the electricity as the transmitter  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

...actually the old ones used less power than modern fridges. They were smaller and didn't have a bunch of fancy regulation circuitry.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 10:19:25 PM »
The kicker is, you can fix old fridges like those.  The repair guys assume you don't want to replace the old compressor, as it is a pricey repair vs most.

The drier in my house came with the place.  The washer died, and the repair guy took a look at the drier and dated it to the late 60s.  When it dies I will replace it, but he said it could outlive us.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 02:57:20 AM »
I feel your pain, my refrigerator has issues too, works ok for some days, then its performance drops. WTF?
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 06:07:14 AM »
A fridge from 1961??
You gotta be kidding.
That thing must have been using more power than half of the city you live in! ;D

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 06:20:56 AM »
Haha, well, the fridge is 3 years older than I and has been great the whole time. The freezer has only had to be defrosted once in 14 years. Lots of people who've seen it have told me, "Dang, you should get a new one and save a lot of energy. That's fine on the face of it, but a new, inexpensive fridge costs $450 and bumps up to over $700 for Energy Star rated ones.  Since my energy bill can be in the low $40s some months of the year, the payoff on a new fridge just to save $5 per month is an inefficient way of looking at it. Now, if the fridge REALLY is doomed, then it's worth getting a new efficient one, of course.

Here are some pics of the possibly doomed fridge. Reading up on it, the clicking can be caused by any number of things: capacitors, relays, dirty coils and yeah, the dreaded compressor. I'm hoping it's one of the former items not the last.

Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 07:04:33 AM »
i notice the dash rip rock sticker, a great band.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead