Author Topic: Stanley Clark  (Read 1490 times)

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
Stanley Clark
« on: February 24, 2014, 01:06:44 PM »
Saw him friday with 2 very young musicians(18&19). It is one of the best jazz shows I have seen . Next week its Jack Digonette & Esmerelda Spaulding. Nice stuff for livin in the woods!
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Stanley Clark
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 05:07:08 PM »
A certain degree of envy emanating from the vicinity of the shed...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 09:11:31 PM »
He's coming to Yoshi's in April - I'm psyched! I hope he's playing with the people you saw him with.

Did he play any electric basses or all acoustic? When I saw him he started with an Alembic but they had put tenor strings on it without changing out the bridge saddles so the string kept jumping out - he played his upright for the rest of the weekend after that first song! Still an amazing show but I would have liked to see him play more electric...

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 01:35:31 AM »
I actually prefer him on upright. Don't care much for his baritone-tuned bass tone. I think he tunes it ADGC, using the top 4 strings of a 6-string bass set.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 09:14:27 AM »
I'm going to see him Friday doing School Days. Looking forward to that! I was WAY into him in my late teens/early twenties.

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 12:27:38 PM »
I'm going to see him Friday doing School Days. Looking forward to that! I was WAY into him in my late teens/early twenties.
I'm jealous! I was hoping the School Days show would be playing here too. That was my favorite album of his in high school - after he signed my bass last year I CRANKED the song School Days in my car on the way home!

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 11:23:33 AM »
i saw return to forever at symphony hall in atlanta in the early seventies. they played an acoustic set and an electric set. the acoustic set was far superior.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 06:10:29 AM »
i saw return to forever at symphony hall in atlanta in the early seventies. they played an acoustic set and an electric set. the acoustic set was far superior.

Saw the same show in Detroit and I share your opinion. Great Minds ya' know ;D
Rick

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 08:23:47 AM »
I saw RTF in 1982 at the Auditorium Theater in Chicago. What a great night! One of those "so glad I went" nights that I'll remember forever. 

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 09:23:10 PM »
He played upright all night  then the electric for the encore. I loved to see the eye contact between the 3 musicians, all smiles. The Teens really were at the top of their game all night . Drummer was on fire!
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 05:47:19 AM »
Clarke

I remember school days being played to death on top 40 radio when it came out. That and bird land.

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 09:42:35 AM »
I remember school days being played to death on top 40 radio when it came out. That and bird land.
Those were the days!  8)

saltymonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2014, 10:02:07 AM »
I saw RTF in 1982 at the Auditorium Theater in Chicago. What a great night! One of those "so glad I went" nights that I'll remember forever.

I saw that tour too. Both nights at the Academy of Music in Philly. I was in college and had a friend who was a ticket scalper. He had a fistful of tix he hadn't sold and hooked me up. Second row the first night and first row the night after. Both incredible. Stanley and Lenny White playing off of each other was just astounding. They were having so much fun.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 09:25:41 AM »
Well it was a fun show, if not a bit short. Maybe 1hr 15min. I would have liked one or 2 more electric bass songs, but regardless, he was 8 feet away from us, and had this ridiculous 19 yo drummer who provided a great pulse throughout the night. Great birthday present!