Author Topic: Blasphemous Thunderbird Carnage  (Read 2862 times)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Blasphemous Thunderbird Carnage
« on: January 14, 2010, 04:20:44 PM »
Scott's probable new purchase got us talking and I remembered a photo I had from a guy who replaced the bridge on his 70's bird for a 60's unit. He went so far as to lay in a veneer from the bridge pickup back (to cover the three point holes). What's even more impressive is that it was a natural bird he did it to:

So that got me thinking. If you planed 1/8" off the whole center section and put a 1/8" veneer on it you could not only slap a two piece bridge on it but do this as well:

Neither one of the two 70s birds I have left is totally original. Both were refinished and one has a Badass. I think I may be yanking off that Badass for a new project!

Hornisse

Re: Blasphemous Thunderbird Carnage
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 04:48:17 PM »
The '78 I had was the cleanest 'Bird I'd ever seen.  I was afraid to take it out of the case!  I got a tip from Harleyyy on the old 'Pit that there was a '98 T bird for $999 BIN.  As soon as I saw it I bought it.  I couldn't believe a music store (that I bought it from) would not know it was a 70's instrument. 

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 04:51:20 PM »
Nice '78  :o George I like the way you think ;)
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 10:24:02 AM »
What about the extra potmeter hole?

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 10:37:44 AM »

That's why I love my Greco!

George that pic you posted of yours awhile back with Scott's bridge on it was quite inspirational, I'm planning on having this refinned and set up just that way. Single pickup Birds........... ;D

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 11:14:12 AM »
What about the extra potmeter hole?

I thought about that after posting (and fixing the pic to only show two pots). Since the bass I'd use is a solid color I could try and fill and patch the hole, but I guess I could also overlay a veneer on the bottom wing instead. I'll have to ask the wood experts here and see what they think. I'm pretty sure a fill and patch over the rear pickup would show eventually, but I don't know about a smaller patch.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 11:26:13 AM »

That's why I love my Greco!

Since I got my V4B the Greco is my favorite sounding bass. It just sounds so good through that amp and 8X10s... I want to refinish mine as well and make the two point permanent. I was going to go white but if I mod my white bird I may want to choose another color for this one. Choices, choices...  :mrgreen:

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 11:49:11 AM »

The wine red one bottom right is making me weak!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 01:11:51 PM »
Scott's probable new purchase got us talking and I remembered a photo I had from a guy who replaced the bridge on his 70's bird for a 60's unit. He went so far as to lay in a veneer from the bridge pickup back (to cover the three point holes). What's even more impressive is that it was a natural bird he did it to:

So that got me thinking. If you planed 1/8" off the whole center section and put a 1/8" veneer on it you could not only slap a two piece bridge on it but do this as well:

Neither one of the two 70s birds I have left is totally original. Both were refinished and one has a Badass. I think I may be yanking off that Badass for a new project!

I would not mill off the 1/8" center section, once you remove it, it is gone. I would fill the cavity and  veneer over that.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 01:45:55 PM »
That's kinda what I'm doing, so gotta second Mark on that...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 04:55:12 PM »
You guys would know better than me so if I do this I'll follow your lead. Thanks!

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 09:29:26 PM »
I don't think that you would need to take off an 1/8 - I would think that 1/16 might do it - maybe less.  The difficulty would be milling around the fingerboard.  Regardless, you would need to mill off enough to remove the radius on the on the edges on the center section so that you could get a good glue joint on your veneer.  Once you glue up was done you then reform the radius on the center section.

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 06:34:10 AM »
AND it picks up cassettes and cleans the carpet too!!!  ;) :mrgreen: ;)
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 08:47:12 AM »

Inset of a pic of mine, far from finished - the edge really depends on how you fin, what laminate you use, and what timber is beneath... this is going to have an amber and cherry burst, but the edge of the centre section will stand out like a line (deliberately so) to enhance the fact that the body is "just so..."
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

rockinrayduke

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 06:47:04 PM »
George, don't you dare refinish that "blue" one. It's gorgeous as it is!