Author Topic: The "unopened" Bicentennial  (Read 1606 times)

lowend1

• View Profile
The "unopened" Bicentennial
« on: February 10, 2015, 09:28:57 AM »
Several years back, a new, still-in-the-box Bicentennial T-bird was offered for sale. Anybody know what happened to it?
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Blackbird

• View Profile
Re: The "unopened" Bicentennial
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 01:07:33 PM »
Not likely the one, and I'm not keen on the old birds...but there's one here (i'm not affiliated to the seller):

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/city-of-toronto/gibson-1976-bicentenial-t-bird-bass-very-clean/1033661426?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 04:21:59 PM »
That looks another one that was up for sale awhile back - belonged to Chris Campbell (Bob Seger's bass player). I think at the time it was at Cowtown Guitars.
EDIT: Found it...
http://www.cowtownguitars.com/itemtest2.php?invno=bg70&itemtop=includes/bassesitemtop.txt

Here's the box'er (scroll down):
http://www.woodsys.com/t-CoolGuitars.aspx
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 04:37:25 PM by lowend1 »

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 08:08:51 PM »
How do you know it's not F'ed up???

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 04:20:24 AM »
I might be too much of a cynic but I'd pay more for it if it was open and in perfect condition.  Who knows what you'll find if you open it, neck twisted beyond repair, dead pickups, black hardware or even worse a fender.  ;D  In all reality it's probably in perfect condition but what would I do with a box...I'd just rather have it opened.

Unrelated and I'm not at all saying it is the case here but....It reminds me of when I worked in retail in Kansas City. There was a local ring of thieves that was so good at steaming/cutting open boxes and re-sealing you couldn't tell at all they had been opened.  They would return the items and no-one was the wiser until the box was sold to another customer.  The new customer would open their new laptop/desktop/palm pilot (remember those) and find a perfectly weighted block of wood or brick.  Sometimes with a friendly message from the thieves.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 05:45:46 AM »
I'm just surprised that both of these basses are still showing up in their respective dealer's online inventory after all this time. Could be an oversight or some internet glitch, I suppose...

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 06:57:49 AM »
Actually neither shows up in a search of their respective dealer's current online inventory. Quite often web designers will simply un-link a page rather than removing it.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 08:02:41 AM »
Well, that would certainly explain that part of it. Still wondering, though, what happened to whatever was inside that box...