Author Topic: The 8 string Non Reverse!  (Read 3419 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: The 8 string Non Reverse!
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2009, 12:03:10 PM »
Those Deans feel great, and they have a very unique look. Like something JPJ would play. Good stuff out of Korea.

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2009, 12:21:58 PM »
Always a pleasure to read your opinions, Uwe! Though I've never tried out one, I feel a bit tempted. But that won't be. Have to stick with my herd.

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2009, 01:07:49 PM »
Here's the next step!   ;)

I got my first 8-string in the late 70s, a Hagstrom, after seeing a pic of Noel Redding with his. Had a couple others over the years but after getting Cheap Trick's Heaven Tonight, also in the late 70s, I HAD to have a 12-string. I wanted the short-scale version like on Budokan, got my first one, in black, and it had a HUGE effect on the sound of our (3-piece)band. We began touring the country and I decided I needed a second 12 as a back-up, so I got the "Salmon Blush" one I still own today. It had a thinner neck and quickly became my fave of the two. After the band broke up in the late 90s I sold the black one, no use having two 12-strings sitting in the closet. Since then I've never found a band that the 12 fits so it still sits in the closet. I do love it tho', and it reminds me of good times on the road, when my gear sitting on-stage would attract a crowd before we ever took the stage.
Ronn
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2009, 08:31:12 AM »
Killer 12er Ronn! And I like the little reminder of what your name is.  ;)

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2009, 07:37:50 PM »
Glad to see Mark is happy with the "PINK PANZER" as it was christened by New Rising Son. The Holly overlay was just finished Friday on My Korina one so I should have that glued onto the headstock on Monday, then Epoxy the Gibson MOP into the overlay. Then it's time to sand and fill. Then yellow Clear coat. Trust me, If any of you Thinks  an 8 string, is limited, you're wrong. I can play it on everything. True, I wouldn't use it on EVERY song, But ...I write bass lines for the bass. And it's usually progressive and hard edgey riffs. But I'm digging my new 1966 Guild Jetstar 4 string bass. Anyway, there are so many great Thunderbird basses....And now I've discovered the Guild Jetstars...Time to make a Jetstar 8 string next spring!!!!!!

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2009, 10:49:37 AM »
Hey...how about a Fenderbird 8 string??????

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2009, 11:40:24 AM »
Right after I got my Dean, I looked at a Fender/Warmoth 8-string that was pretty cool, but I would have had to rewire the whole thing.  The guy who was selling it had it set up exclusively for bi-amping.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty