Author Topic: The 8 string Non Reverse!  (Read 3420 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
The 8 string Non Reverse!
« on: September 24, 2009, 01:16:59 PM »

Okay,

Here are some pics of Bionic Joe's beautiful 8 string Non Reverse that he graciuosly decided to sell to me. I'm REALLY enjoying it! Wonderful tone as he says Harpsicord/Freight Train, I think it's the ultimate big angry piano!
 I've been dialing it in on my Line6 pedal, it gets it's own model preset based on an Acoustic 360 amp simulation, within that preset I can use a parametric eq function and really fine tune my sound and volume. The pedal is a great tool if you regualy use a lot of different basses and switch during shows as you only have to step on the pedal to bring up the right setting for any particular bass - very handy if you break a string and have to quickly change basses!

One important thing is to have a constant reference point and for that I use this '77 for it's nice well balanced tone and volume output - yeah George! Thanks for this one :)

« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 01:55:51 PM by TBird1958 »
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Re: The 8 string Non Reverse!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 01:24:24 PM »
Really nice bass, love the color & headstock.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 01:35:38 PM »
You are getting quite the collection.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 02:11:05 PM »
That is freak'n awesome  :o I wish I could have bought it !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Hornisse

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 02:24:19 PM »
That is a great looking bass Mark!  Congrats!

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 02:26:46 PM »
Now all the people in your audience will think "there's that cute little girl with that HUGE sound"!
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 03:12:33 PM »
Mark, I'm happy you bought both basses! As hard as it was to let it go, it felt (and still feels) good to know my bass went into such loving and capable hands.  :mrgreen: You totally scored on that 8. I want one BAD!

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 11:00:38 PM »
I see too many eight strings around lately. I want one!!

Congrats! Great bass and it really suits you and your collection, my dear.

pamlicojack

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 05:56:34 AM »
I've always been intrigued by 8-string basses but have never pulled the trigger on one.  What are the pros and cons?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 06:14:07 AM »
Pros: Sounds like nothing else. And you can play notes with it that would sound out of place or harmony with a regular bass (that is why JPJ likes multi-string basses).

Cons: Not everything that sounds good on a 4 string works on an eight-string. It pretty much restricts a bassplayer in the way a 12-string restricts a guitarist (how many solos on a 12 string have you heard?, I remember one, from John McLaughlin, everybody else uses it as a rhythm guitar). You can't be really rhythmic in a subtle way with it either (not for reggae or funk players then), bending is impossible and that very much "there" sound can grate a little after a while. In a band with two guitars, an 8-string can begin to sound cluttered pretty quickly and due to the octave-strings' prominence or blurriness, it doesn't seal the bottom of the frequency spectrum as much as a 4 string does. Turn down the treble to make the octacve strings less prominent and the sound has less focus than any four string. Though it is probably only a trick on the ears, a real four string sounds deeper. Also, an eight string won't have the sustain of a four string in the middle and upper registers, something in the way regular and octave strings interact I guess, it always has a percussive note to it due to the prominent attack.

And while there are exceptions to the rule, an eight string really isn't for finger players. Only a pick will bring out the doubled octave characteristic.

From what I've heard of Mark's playing in the Nasty Habits, his playing should adapt quite easily to the eight-string and I can imagine it sounding pretty stellar on something like White Wedding. If the guitarist lets him, that is!!!  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 07:15:41 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 06:47:45 AM »
I think Uwe covered it pretty well.  It's a major leap for a finger player.  I tore the crap out of my fingers the first time I took mine out.  After that, I worked on my picking (not my forte) and used it only for select songs.  The other thing is that the string tension is pretty significant.  An 8-string bass requires a bit of effort to go through a night.
Still, they have a unique sound and place.  Finding the right song for that sound can pay off hugely in the end.  I would also think that running multiple amps, as players of multi-course basses seem to (Tom Petersson, Doug Pinnick) , helps bring out the full tonal range.

And my humble Dean, which was lost in the shine of Mark's new toy, is still available, for anyone wanting to take the plunge.   8)
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Health Warning
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 07:29:33 AM »
An eight string played without restraint
Will lead to carpal tunnel pain

You're bound for more attendance
But watch out for those tendons

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 08:23:30 AM »
If you want to try an 8-string, try the new Hagstrom reissue, called the HB-8. Shortscale, two humbuckers with six pick up configurations, quite cheap and nice sounding. I've got a bit of GAS..

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2009, 08:31:59 AM »
Even as the proud owner of a Fireglo 4003S/8, I'm a little jealous Mark! That bass.... WOW! Nice work Baz! Can't wait to see the korina.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2009, 10:25:33 AM »
If you want to try an 8-string, try the new Hagstrom reissue, called the HB-8. Shortscale, two humbuckers with six pick up configurations, quite cheap and nice sounding. I've got a bit of GAS..

Or, at about half the price of the Hagstrom, you could buy gweimer's Dean Rhapsody 8.