Author Topic: The Epi Explorer is back?  (Read 4512 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
The Epi Explorer is back?
« on: March 16, 2009, 02:59:10 PM »
Yesterday I won a 80s Fernandes Explorer on a Belgian auction site. Only 300 euros with case and lots of mojo. It has a bolt-on neck. See: Other Bass Brands.

Todat Berth gave me this link:

http://www.thomann.de/nl/epiphone_korina_explorer_bass_na_ltd.htm

An LTD. It seems it's back for a while. This one's nice too, but I think I like the 80s Fernandes better. But if I knew this before, this could have been nice too! Without starting the discussion again: I don't like the black pick ups...:)

Iome

• Born to rock..forced to work
    • View Profile
Re: The Epi Explorer is back?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 02:11:28 AM »

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 03:04:35 AM »
I like the Epi better. I don't have that "metal association" that I have with the pointy headstock Fernandes

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 03:21:51 AM »
I like the 60s looks of the Epi, but the gold hardware and black pick ups are just bad... I like the V too!

The Fernandes isn't that much pointier than the Epi.

Iome

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 05:16:22 AM »
I couldn't find any news about them on the net, only on Thomann's site, does anybody know when/if they produce them?

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 05:43:42 AM »
A former Gibson rep once told me that you can order anything at Epiphone as long as you order 25 or 50 pieces or so... Like Rob with his BaCH I once thought (and directly forgot) about 25 Union Jack Rivolis...

So I think Thomann (maybe with some other big German players) just order those, just like the faded SG Reissue with gigbag (see other post) which isn't on the website and the Gibson Melodymakers which weren't on the website with white and black finishes.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 06:24:57 AM »
I would love to know if these "New" Explorers are being made in the Korean Un Sung factory like mine was. Playing it is kind of like having a big powerful classy truck sitting in the corner that you can go and drive whenever you need a truck as opposed to your normal Mercedes saloon car that you usually drive.  Interesting they say the neck is Mahogany. Mine is definitely Rosewood on Maple.

I like the black on white design myself, mostly because the white pickguard gives more of a traditional look to it rather than the metal look. And the T-bird plus style Hummers are  my preference for sound. Just my opinion.

Not sure I could play a V bass though. Looks pretty uncomfortable to play.

Congrats on the Fernandes Chris.
Digresion our specialty!

Iome

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 06:41:33 AM »
I'd like to know if the V really has a 34" scale as they say or if it's a 30" like the old one..

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 06:49:34 AM »
I doubt this stuff is new, I think they are clearing out old M & T stuff. The pics are those of old models, i.e. that is an old short scale Flying V pictured with Thomann too. M & T was Gibson's decade-long distributor in Germany, they even had an own Epi bass site with recorded sounds etc. The product line they offered was never quite in synch with the official Epi product line at the time. They still had the Flying V and Explorer long after Epi had deleted them and they didn't offer the Epi EB-3L or the Allen Woody in Germany until two years ago or so. Last year, M & T and Gibson clashed badly and Gibson now self-distributes in Germany. I guess M & T are under obligation to clear out whatever they have now and they had loads of Epis stored away which Thomann has now probably bought. And "Ltd Ed" sounds better than "deleted model".

Had the Flying V and the Explorer really been resurrected, then they would have given them at least a new look like they did with the resurrected Epi Ripper.

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 06:58:08 AM »
Uwe could be right. They're talking about a Ltd. Ed. stamp, but that could be put on afterwards.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 07:22:47 AM »
I'm sure the Explorer will see a proper reintroduction by Epi sometime in the future - considering the outlandish shape, it was a consistent seller in Germany at least, especially with younger generation (and smaller budget) heavy metal players -, but I would then expect something goth with active pups and, yes, black state-of-the-art hardware. That current ltd ed model is an outdated design 10 years old as regards hardware and pups.

Still a better Explorer than the eighties Gibson models though. Recommended if you want to pimp a little.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Bert

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 02:54:35 AM »
Thomann tells me to just order it and wait if I want it. (Maybe Epi makes another batch of these once they have enough orders?)

Most reviews I read on the Epi tell it has a wide neck. I dont like wide necks, so thats a no go for me. Any first hand opinions on this from this board?
'68 4001|'73 4001 MG|'73 4001 AZG (PW refin)|'75 4000 MG|'79 4001 JG FL|'81 4001S AZG|'86 4003 MID/BT|'86 4003 Shadow|'86 4003S JG|'88 4003s Blackstar|'89 4003 Grey/BT FL|'96 4003S/8 FG|'98 4003S/5 JG| 05 650D|06 4004 CII BBR||B-115|RB 30||?

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 05:33:11 AM »
It does have a wide neck but in a nice way. My main squeeze is a Jazz neck so I know what you mean but the Explorer is like driving a nice big Mercedes truck. As opposed to the 2 door BMW you may be used to. Bloody fantastic feeling of power and mass.
Digresion our specialty!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2009, 03:54:05 PM »
I'm getting nervous... I'm starting to like the look of this lady...   :o
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Bert

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 03:24:58 PM »
It does have a wide neck but in a nice way. My main squeeze is a Jazz neck so I know what you mean but the Explorer is like driving a nice big Mercedes truck. As opposed to the 2 door BMW you may be used to. Bloody fantastic feeling of power and mass.

My 4 door BMW also gives a fantastic feeling of power and mass. And it's fast.
'68 4001|'73 4001 MG|'73 4001 AZG (PW refin)|'75 4000 MG|'79 4001 JG FL|'81 4001S AZG|'86 4003 MID/BT|'86 4003 Shadow|'86 4003S JG|'88 4003s Blackstar|'89 4003 Grey/BT FL|'96 4003S/8 FG|'98 4003S/5 JG| 05 650D|06 4004 CII BBR||B-115|RB 30||?