Author Topic: The Dirt  (Read 1840 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
The Dirt
« on: March 22, 2019, 02:34:52 PM »
The Dirt, the movie about Mötley Crüe is on Netflix since today. Some of my colleagues saw it, I heard their stories and read the book (*) so I had to see it. Watching it now. One of the first scenes, ten minutes in, somewhere in the middle of the eighties Nikki Sixx is playing a white bird with black pickups and black small tuners. So the first f*** up;) Movie is great though!

(*) The book is hilarious and emotional. From hard laughing to almost crying within a page.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: The Dirt
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 02:49:06 PM »
And i think Mick Mars is playing an Epiphone LP with the logo taped off.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 03:06:29 PM »
BC Rich bass with an MM pickup now. But still a very enjoyable movie:)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 04:37:07 PM »
Last post for now: What starts as almost a parody goes into a pretty intense movie.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 10:49:41 PM »
It sounds like a good movie.  There don't seem to be many good ones lately. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 10:35:48 AM »
Well, I finished it last night. Some thoughts after seeing the whole movie:

Stay clear of it if you didn't like the Queen movie. At some times it's a bit comic book, a bit over the top and a movie and certainly no documentary. So if you are a fan and you want to see facts: Stay away from it.

If you just want to see a great, funny, and sometimes emotional movie, watch it! It starts a bit comic book, but after a while you see heroin being shot into arms, a dying kid, an overdose, a deadly car crash, et cetera. And the fun parts is naked runjing through hotels, Ozzy (great casted) snorting pee and ants, a lot of sex.

I know I had some nerd posts about the instruments, but the movie is just nice but again, don't expect a historical correct document. I think the Crüe guys must have laughed their pants of watching it.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 03:57:59 PM »
Well, I guess you can't expect to see a young Nikki Sixx with a white Bicentennial  Thunderbird, but rather be happy it's a white Thunderbird shaped bass. I read the book when it was first published and look forward to seeing the movie.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 09:32:07 PM »
The sloppy attention to period correct guitars was annoying, but 90% of people watching it will never even notice, so I tried not to hold it too hard against them. And it's true; just the fact that they got the black Les Paul and white bird part right was pretty good for Hollywood (though the guitarist in Rock Candy having an EVH signature Strat in 1980 made me want to hit their prop master).

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 02:46:37 AM »
I saw the EVH after my posts and I didn't want to make another;)

Sometimes it's good enough. I saw a movie recently situated in the sixties and I thought the Epi JCS was a wrong but good choice. Not an LP Sig, cos it had the € logo.

There is this movie about the London gangster brothers The Kray Brothers. The movie is called Legend. In this movie you see a band and the bass player is actually a friend of mine from London. Budge Magraw. A couple of years ago he ordered an special bass at Höfner's, which they called the Federal Bass. They made a small series. In fact it is a bigger jazz body style bass with a 500/1 neck. Budhe plays that bass in the movie and it's not correct either. The people of the movie asked him if it was a real 60s model and he just said yes.