5 (22.7%)
Arctic white
0 (0%)
Black
0 (0%)
CANDY APPLE RED
4 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: NR TB project  (Read 12627 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: NR TB project
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2015, 03:54:42 AM »
Looks like a Schaller roller bridge to me.

Dave's correct.  It's my favorite bridge, the Schaller roller bridge.  The best side-to-side adjustable saddle set up out there.  Great for narrow or wide necks.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 10:24:25 AM by drbassman »
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2015, 08:29:05 AM »
Nice!  Thanks.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2015, 12:21:26 PM »
The bass is in the shop for painting!  Shouldn't be too long.  I can't wait!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2016, 03:10:27 PM »
OK, I couldn't decide until the last minute, but vintage white it is and it looks great!  The pup is a ThunderBucker 66S and it sounds great.  I used TI flats to tame the tone a bit and it still growls like crazy with the pup placement and maple neck/ebony board.  It doesn't sound like anything else I own and I'm liking it.  It has such a strong mid-range presence and lower registry clarity, it doesn't sound like a 30" scale bass at all to me. 

The full length shot was out of focus so I'll try that again later.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 09:30:02 PM by drbassman »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2016, 03:34:10 PM »
Nice...
 :popcorn:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2016, 04:55:49 PM »
Pretty!

After a while with my SG Standard and Fender Rascal, I've come to realize that I'm just not a short scale fan. But for me, it's not about the fundamental or midrange, it's about the lack of complexity in the upper ranges. Years ago I played short scales and was happy. After years without one, I've come to realize why I changed.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2016, 09:24:14 PM »
Pretty!

After a while with my SG Standard and Fender Rascal, I've come to realize that I'm just not a short scale fan. But for me, it's not about the fundamental or midrange, it's about the lack of complexity in the upper ranges. Years ago I played short scales and was happy. After years without one, I've come to realize why I changed.

I don't know what complexity in the upper ranges is.  For me, my biggest criticism of ss basses is an ill defined E string that doesn't ring out or have a deep clear tone.  I'm not a mud fan.  I've found TI flats to have a great sounding E string and overall tone quality that often improves a ss bass.  I find most ss scale flat sets have a dull indistinct E string and passable A through G strings.

The one thing that's not possible to achieve with a 30" scale is the ringing piano-like power and fullness of a 34" scale string, especially when using rounds.  They'll never sound the same, that's for sure. I should note the TI rounds for ss do a pretty good job of getting close to the 34" ring and power.   But with some tweaking and a good Mesa amp/speakers, I can make a lot of pleasing (to me) bass music with a ss.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2016, 06:25:51 AM »
 Bill, That looks awesome!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2016, 10:12:13 AM »
Thanks Scott, it turned out better than I expected.  Sounds really nice too, not like a typical short scale.  I might just make a few of these to sell and see how they do. 

Check your PM.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2016, 10:44:32 AM »
Bill, I share your opinion. The longer I play bass, the more I incline to short scale, and I've found that they serve very well for me. I don't look negatively on anyone's preference in instruments, as it's a highly individual thing. I think that I also may not be as attuned to very fine nuances of things like "complexity," and differences in sound based on wood and bridges (don't hear a thing that's different), but I'm OK muddling along without that.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2016, 11:00:15 AM »
To each his own, both of you obviously get what you want from short scales, and that's great. It's not for me though, both mine will be on the market shortly.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2016, 05:16:32 PM »
Bill, I share your opinion. The longer I play bass, the more I incline to short scale, and I've found that they serve very well for me. I don't look negatively on anyone's preference in instruments, as it's a highly individual thing. I think that I also may not be as attuned to very fine nuances of things like "complexity," and differences in sound based on wood and bridges (don't hear a thing that's different), but I'm OK muddling along without that.

Yeah, I'm a bit like you.  Even though I practiced audiology and have advanced degrees in it, complexities between bass scales are hard for me to discern, much as the complexities people talk about in fine wines.  If I like the taste of it, I don't care if it has undertones of pear and finishes with burst of chocolate!   I just have to like it.  :P

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2016, 09:19:28 AM »
  I found that with short scales that the strings made a big difference. On my EB3s and EB0s I use Rototsound standard gauge long scale strings 104-45 I think. Their short scale strings are lighter gauge and sound wimpy. Nice powerful E string with a 104 gauge but more punch not so much piano like ring.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2016, 10:59:13 AM »
Maybe I'm a simple man, but I always think about long scale vs short in terms of "thud" (or punch)...Long scale basses generate more "thud"...

I feel it doesn't matter as much while recording, but that it sure does matter when playing live.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2016, 12:37:29 PM »
  I found that with short scales that the strings made a big difference. On my EB3s and EB0s I use Rototsound standard gauge long scale strings 104-45 I think. Their short scale strings are lighter gauge and sound wimpy. Nice powerful E string with a 104 gauge but more punch not so much piano like ring.

That's very true. I have long scale Roto NPS Swingbass 45-105 on the Rascal, 43-104 medium scale LaBella flats on the Gibson, both noticeable improvements over the stock strings. Still not the long scale sound I like, though. Plenty of E string definition but still lacking that long scale ring.