Author Topic: Hofner again...  (Read 26229 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: Hofner again...
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2012, 06:03:48 AM »
At least Greece now has a recovery plan:mrgreen:

;D.  I love that Germany takes no responsibility for making loans they should have known had a big possibility of not being repaid.

If Sicily were officially independent (price tags there still have both Euro and Lire pricing) no one in his right mind would expect repayment on a loan.  Sicilians and Greeks share a lot of culture.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2012, 06:28:26 AM »
;D.  I love that Germany takes no responsibility for making loans they should have known had a big possibility of not being repaid.

If Sicily were officially independent (price tags there still have both Euro and Lire pricing) no one in his right mind would expect repayment on a loan.  Sicilians and Greeks share a lot of culture.

Couldn't agree more. Sicilians are descended, in large part, from both ancient Greek and later Byzantine Greek settlers after all.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2012, 06:36:49 AM »
Couldn't agree more. Sicilians are descended, in large part, from both ancient Greek and later Byzantine Greek settlers after all.

There's a line in The Godfather, 'more Greek than Italian.'

When I was a kid our Anglo neighbor who had been stationed at the US Navy base on Sicily used to call my father, "Greek." 

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2012, 06:45:44 AM »
When I was a kid our Anglo neighbor who had been stationed at the US Navy base on Sicily used to call my father, "Greek." 

That's always a good thing. Or maybe not! :P
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2012, 08:45:40 AM »
Good one Dave.  Maybe they should film it in Germany, where the money is.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2012, 11:01:33 AM »
I received the Senator this morning. Beautiful bass but needs some work.

First off, it needs a neck reset. Right now the action is higher than on my upright (and I play arco). The bridge base needs some shaping to fit the top. And then there's the wiring.

Even with the mile high action I enjoy playing it. Maybe 3 years practicing the upright have made me less finicky about the action. It's full hollowbody - no center block - I like that. Unplugged it's louder than my Gretsch which is also full hollowbody.

It's extremely lightweight - like a classical guitar, maybe less. Slight neck dive but not as serious as a Beatle bass.

This is a crappy 1st pic through the mirror with my cell phone... better pics later.

The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2012, 02:49:05 PM »
 So cool !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2012, 03:11:15 PM »
Sure looks nice. I'll bet you'll be able to whip it into shape.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2012, 03:25:40 PM »
That was a great score!  Seems that the need for neck resets is fairly common on the old Hoffies?  A little TLC and I'm sure you'll have it back in top form.  Stunning bass!

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2012, 11:52:51 AM »
Seems that the need for neck resets is fairly common on the old Hoffies?

Yep. I found this web page that explains why:

"These neck heels are glued into a pocket by hide glue alone, with no tenon or dovetail joint to help hold it, just like a violin. Getting these necks out is a very different from say, a Martin neck."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2012, 12:29:26 PM »
Yep. I found this web page that explains why:

"These neck heels are glued into a pocket by hide glue alone, with no tenon or dovetail joint to help hold it, just like a violin. Getting these necks out is a very different from say, a Martin neck."

That IS a tenon.  A neck reset is routine maintenance on just about ANY fully acoustic guitar after 25 years, including Martins, truss rod or not.  It's basic physics and strength of materials.  NICE BASS!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2012, 03:33:03 PM »
  My '65-'66 Hofner had a reset when I bought it in '71! At that time it had pulled away from the body less than a 1/16 of a inch. That is enough to F things up and to this day the bass has a shaved bridge. I have always wanted to get it fixed. Years ago I sent it to one local Luthier and he could not get it apart, so I have let it be. :( Maybe I should send it back to Hofner.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2012, 04:42:02 PM »
I am so jealous, I can't look at this thread!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2012, 05:49:28 PM »
That IS a tenon.  A neck reset is routine maintenance on just about ANY fully acoustic guitar after 25 years, including Martins, truss rod or not.  It's basic physics and strength of materials.  NICE BASS!

And a dovetail tenon at that. It doesn't have a tongue as in typical solid body set neck construction. Otherwise I don't understand why that author thinks it's so different from a typical acoustic neck joint.

No reason it can't be taken apart and reset. If you don't have a luthier you can trust to do it right, there's always the Stew-Mac neck joint steamer. They have a neck removal jig too but you'd probably have to build your own to fit the Hofner.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2012, 06:27:46 AM »
Ordered a new bridge today. My luthier (a violin maker who is also an excellent classical upright bass player) will be back from France on Sunday, I'm sure he can reset the neck and shape the bridge base to fit the top perfectly.