Author Topic: Surf gig next Saturday  (Read 1956 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Surf gig next Saturday
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 09:30:42 PM »
Cool set list!

I'd consider starting with Wipe Out... it's a great show opener, if your drummer can do it without warm-up.

You're right, it's a great show-opener!

Unfortunately the drummer is 62 and he does really need to warm up first.  Also, he comes up to the PA and does a special intro for that specific number...he tells the story that in the 60's in Southern Cal, if you were a drummer there was ONE number you absolutely had to know how to play....and that's the one.

The band's name is Vintage Winds, and that's code for old farts. The drummer is 62, I'm 59, the lead guitarist is only a couple of years behind me, and the rhythm guitarist is just past 50.  We are limited to two sets because that's literally all the drummer can handle without a long break...or he really pays for it. 

Every band has its own interesting set of personalities and issues, doesn't it?  But we really get along well, no ego problems, just a group of guys who enjoy what they play and aren't trying to make a living at it.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 03:57:43 AM »
We are limited to two sets because that's literally all the drummer can handle without a long break...or he really pays for it. 

Double "skins" time may solve that if you wanted to play "extra-time" - any "surf" bands ever had 2 drummers...?

I guess "Mik 'n' Keef" could now be known as the "Zimmer-Twins..."  ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 10:32:54 AM »
Finding a drummer who really understands surf music is not that easy.  In fact, that's true for guitarists as well.  It's a distinct style.  That said, we'd love to have a #2 drummer - it would open up new opportunities.  Well worth considering!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 12:59:20 PM »
Read my bottom line...  ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 08:04:02 PM »
hey Pilgrim. got any recordings? i love surf rock
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2010, 10:51:05 PM »
hey Pilgrim. got any recordings? i love surf rock

There are some marginal recordings from a couple of gigs at my Youtube channel:  http://youtube.com/colocoug

This weekend's gig will be shot by a semi-pro cameraman and hopefully we'll have better video.  What's online now was all shot by my Digital-8 camcorder with stereo mike mounted on a tripod while we played.  I'm a video producer but ya can't shoot and play at the same time, and most people can't use a camcorder to save their lives.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 09:33:58 AM by Pilgrim »