Author Topic: Happy Birthday Elvis  (Read 2804 times)

pamlicojack

• View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday Elvis
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2010, 08:03:31 PM »
Here's a few pics from ElvisFest...

Whiskey Trail Outlaws

TCB '56 (all Elvis, all the time) DAve Quick the singer, fronted Jack Black for 10 years and puts on Elvisfest and the Heavy Rebel Weekender

Oh course, my good friend Mary Huff from SCOTS showed up and we caught up on the latest...

And made a few new friends...

Delco Nightengale

The Defilers tore it up as usual

Billy Joe Winghead drives every year form OKC to Chapel Hill just to play for an hour...

Truckstop Preachers

DJ Junior was spinning 45's between sets

And as mentioned before, Denis and his girl hung out with me for awhile...

All and all, a good time was had by all...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 08:07:06 PM »
Looks like everyone had a blast!

Hornisse

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2010, 08:18:37 PM »
Very nice!  I listened to Elvis a lot this weekend.  One of my all time favorite songs is "His Latest Flame".

pamlicojack

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 08:21:04 PM »
Very nice!  I listened to Elvis a lot this weekend.  One of my all time favorite songs is "His Latest Flame".

The Rayguns do a great version of that...

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2010, 09:10:43 PM »
Looks like it was a lot of fun!
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2010, 09:04:44 AM »
8)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2010, 10:19:51 AM »
Did they both have underage girlfriends too?  :P :mrgreen:

Happy B Day King!  I seriously doubt I would have played the bass guitar if it weren't for Elvis.  We formed a band a few months after his death and every instrument was in place but the bass.  I volunteered for the job back in September 1977 with my just purchased $50 Kingston bass I bought from one of my biggest influences on the instrument, Mark Vizcarra.  This is a photo of him playing that first bass I bought all those years ago.

When he sold me the Kingston he whipped out this bass and proceeded to blow me away playing Deep Purple's "Lazy" on it.  I watched and learned from him every chance I could and eventually in July 1978 I took his place in the band Omega when he and his brother had to return back to the USA.  We were in Panama at the time with our Dads stationed in the long gone Canal Zone.

Both he and his brother were Navy Commanders and flew jets.  Their dad was a USAF fighter pilot so that only made sense.
Man that Kingston takes me back ! Before my folks would shell out for a bass they wisely rented one to make sure I would "stick with it ". That bass was the exact same Kingston you are playing ! Honestly it was so bad it is a wonder I stuck with it ! Once I proved myself the rewarded me with a Klira which I still have. I bought a Kingston on ebay a few years ago to complete my early years collection. As bad as I remember lol you can see the file marks on the headstock !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird