Author Topic: Thunderbird shootout.  (Read 25187 times)

Alanko

• View Profile
Re: Thunderbird shootout.
« Reply #120 on: August 07, 2015, 11:25:45 AM »

Somebody's Sea Vixen model needs help - Crappy decal job! Only the English could put the canopy off to one side!  :rolleyes:

It must have made sense on the carriers, or something, though some English Electric Canberras had the same thing.

That's the Martin B-57, to you yankees.  :mrgreen:

Speaking of US aircraft, I see another twin Mustang is being restored, presumably also taken from the Soplata collection. Shame they crashed the first one.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 07, 2015, 01:15:20 PM »
Twin Mustang, very interesting. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #122 on: August 07, 2015, 01:24:31 PM »
Never seen a twin Mustang before.

Who gets to drive?
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 07, 2015, 01:37:24 PM »
On the earliest example both cockpits were 'live', but on later models the port cockpit was retained whilst the starboard cockpit was used by the radar operator.  ???

http://xp-82twinmustangproject.blogspot.co.uk/

Anyway, to keep on topic (lol), In Cornick We Trust! I wonder where he got that three-ply black pickguard from?

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 07, 2015, 01:39:44 PM »
Cornick and Mustangs--I like both. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 07, 2015, 04:16:35 PM »
cornick may be a fond memory for some but i guess you never had to sit through one of his 15 min. solos. i saw him with wild turkey.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 08:26:36 AM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #126 on: August 07, 2015, 04:48:42 PM »
I'm still here :)  hard to keep up with you guys... I have not been a proper WW2 aircraft nerd since my model building days around age 10 which is a good 3.5 decades ago.

We've mostly been on fighters, which I guess explains why nobody's mentioned the scary ugly dive bomber yet.  And apparently there are no fans of Japanese planes here?
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 07, 2015, 08:17:35 PM »
I'm still here :)  hard to keep up with you guys... I have not been a proper WW2 aircraft nerd since my model building days around age 10 which is a good 3.5 decades ago.

We've mostly been on fighters, which I guess explains why nobody's mentioned the scary ugly dive bomber yet.  And apparently there are no fans of Japanese planes here?

Same here, I'm way behind the avid fans, too.   But I still remember those model building days and how important that was to me. 

--Blaise Pascal

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 08, 2015, 12:05:04 AM »
...  And apparently there are no fans of Japanese planes here?

My dad had some issues with them... strafing and bombing tends to colour your opinion somewhat... :vader:

My research references Zero's and Betty's but not really had to explore that too much...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #129 on: August 08, 2015, 07:56:49 AM »
My model building was mostly the Revell monster series - Wolfman, Dracula, etc.  And a few hot rods.  No airplanes.

And this guy.  I was probably in Jr High then...still have it, as it sat on a high china hutch for years and I rescued it.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 08, 2015, 08:48:53 AM »
My model building was mostly the Revell monster series - Wolfman, Dracula, etc.  And a few hot rods.  No airplanes.

And this guy.  I was probably in Jr High then...still have it, as it sat on a high china hutch for years and I rescued it.

I started with the ones like Dracula and Wolfman, then went to cars and planes.  I think one I did of a Mustang was my favorite.  One of the cars was really nice, too, but I can't remember what it was.  I never tried dinosaurs, but I'm sure that would have been fun. 

--Blaise Pascal

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 08, 2015, 10:10:24 AM »
.  And apparently there are no fans of Japanese planes here?

They seem too utilitarian to love. They look bulky, they tend to have paint missing everywhere and they outperformed a whole bunch of Allied aircraft. What is there to love? British designs, like our cars, tended to be either graceful or pig ugly, and at least half of them had some fatal design flaw or handling characteristic that gave them further character.

What can you say about a Zero? It was scary fast and looked a bit like a Harvard.  :bored:

All said with half a tongue in half a cheek...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #132 on: August 08, 2015, 01:22:29 PM »

Not so much but I really do like this...........

It's a "Rita" only four were built, crucial material shortages and the end of the war kept it from going any further. The USAAF scrutinized one closely after the war and thought it to be a good plane - sadly all were scrapped.

Postwar...
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 08, 2015, 02:52:38 PM »
At the risk of going off off topic, I thought the White 64 Reverse  sounded spectacular.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 08, 2015, 04:07:27 PM »
Shame on you... (typical colonial...) :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...