Author Topic: Thunderbird shootout.  (Read 25005 times)

Alanko

• View Profile
Re: Thunderbird shootout.
« Reply #180 on: August 13, 2015, 02:28:04 AM »
You might best try a sneak in through Edinburgh in the slingbacks (no one will notice a purple haired tranny during the "Festival" season as there'd be so many of them already there)...

The last thing I need is competition!  :rolleyes:

I recently saw an Urbexer's report on the underground bunkers at Brooklands. I've no idea how he got in, but there is quite a labyrinth hidden away in there.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 13, 2015, 04:43:13 AM »
You know I will fly to your homeland and you'll regret it!  ;)

Not in a Fliegende Festung again!!! We've just rebuilt everything!!!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #182 on: August 13, 2015, 09:59:14 AM »
Not in a Fliegende Festung again!!! We've just rebuilt everything!!!

I'll leave the 8th Airforce at home  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #183 on: August 13, 2015, 01:50:40 PM »
I really enjoyed Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines.  Perhaps my favorite part was Gert Frobe as Colonel Manfred von Holstein, providing his own martial music by mouth while marching out to his plane and opening the manual.

As a good German officer, of COURSE he would have marching music, and of COURSE he would follow the manual.

But my favorite movie of that genre was The Great Race with Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon and a great cast.  It even had flying devices in it!

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 14, 2015, 03:21:23 AM »
I've not seen Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines since I was a kid. I watched a trailer for it on YT last night, and the special effects don't seem quite so special.

I remember a similar phenomenon when I watched the film 'Mosquito Squadron' the second time. At one point a Mosquito crashes, and it is quite clearly a small scale model projecting a shadow on some poorly painted scenery. The 'squadron' itself is made up using crude film doubling techniques, though they did scrape together a good collection of then-flyable Mosquitos for the film. I don't remember much else about the film, other than that it all took place around a prison castle in Germany...  :-\ As a young 'un I found all the killing a bit overwhelming.

My 'Rok Sak' arrived yesterday, alongside a cheap Badass II clone. The bridge is safely on the Tokai, and I also installed three Tele-style barrel knobs. My chroming is now complete for the time being, until I pluck up the stones to re-skin some pickups and re-route accordingly.

Tomorrow I go modding project hunting. My plan is to still make a bass that sounds like a Rickenbacker, out of some neglected mutt. I'm trawling the pawnbrokers for Staggs, Washburn Lyons, Squier Broncos etc. I'm looking for a bass where, with some judicious routing and a new pickguard, I can drop pickups into the 24th and 36th fret positions, stick a bass-cut cap on the bridge pickup and get a Rick-like tone. Something along the lines of a Stingray would work, as I've seen Dave Meros rocking out on a modded OLP.

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 15, 2015, 03:17:21 PM »

I ran the video Shootout thru the Google online translator and it is HILARIOUS!!!

He basically says "See all these stupidly expensive vintage Gibsons and their shitty modern reproductions that Henry J has no idea how to build correctly? Whay bother buying them when for half the price you can buy the better made Asian copy you see here. It even comes in more colors than a Gibson or Epiphone. We suggest Gibson should completely eliminate making ALL BASSES beginning in 2016, until they learn how to do it correctly as they did back in the 1960s."

Wow! Looks  like Gibson took them seriously. :)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 15, 2015, 04:47:50 PM »

I ran the video Shootout thru the Google online translator and it is HILARIOUS!!!

He basically says "See all these stupidly expensive vintage Gibsons and their shitty modern reproductions that Henry J has no idea how to build correctly? Whay bother buying them when for half the price you can buy the better made Asian copy you see here. It even comes in more colors than a Gibson or Epiphone. We suggest Gibson should completely eliminate making ALL BASSES beginning in 2016, until they learn how to do it correctly as they did back in the 1960s."

Wow! Looks  like Gibson took them seriously. :)

:mrgreen: