Author Topic: Thunderbird shootout.  (Read 25005 times)

nofi

• View Profile
Re: Thunderbird shootout.
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2015, 07:41:56 AM »
free shipping, though. :P
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 08:04:50 AM »
I would rather buy a vintage carcass and pay somebody to do it up...  :o

$2,800 is a lot of money for a copy... surely you could get Mike Lull to build one for that?

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2015, 08:33:58 AM »
Ya, have to agree as well, but then again I don't enjoy slapping that much. No idea why Youtube bassists always have to slap. There is one guy (might be the Bluesman Vintage dude actually) that pulls out all these old '70s Ricks and then slaps away on them so that the sound from the bass is louder than the amplified tone.

Yeah, online demos so often consist of a guitarist fumbling through some lightly played fingerstyle "grooves", or on the other end of the spectrum, slappity slappity slap! I do admit that when I'm checking out a bass, I always go into some slap riffs just because it gives me an idea of the instrument's responsiveness.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2015, 10:26:43 AM »
Alrighty,

Slap is a valuable technique...I have nowhere near the technical virtuosity to wank away at a bass like some of these people...but when my band plays "Unchain My Heart"  and I play it with my thumb and an occasional percussive pluck to the higher strings it sounds good and has a good groove.  I like to keep it pretty simple and stupid.  Just play good time. I'm a simple man.

I agree that a wank-fest is pretty irritating.  I love Primus, but sometimes it gets on my nerves.  I think the bass should serve the song not the other way around.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 10:31:56 AM by patman »

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2015, 01:13:02 PM »
I'm not dogging slapping as a playing style that is part of a greater composition or just wanking or whatever.  I'm a 'song first' player myself even though I can drop Claypool lines with the best of them.  I'm just tired of seeing fake shit on YouTube that sounds like a preset for a rhythm machine supposedly showcasing all these amazing players that somehow have never had a break. If the players were REALLY as good as video trickery is making them look, it would be a different matter.  Look, if the shitty YouTube videos of Justin Beiber's terrible performances made him a star, all these "super players" should be overrunning modern music completely.

It's to the point that I question whether some of the showcased "players" (which all seem to be attractive girls) even play the instrument at all. Most of those slap licks are WAY too clean to have been produced by a real bass and the rhythms are obviously looped and like Seinfeld's riffs, sourced from a keyboard sound bank. I've seen other videos with girl bass players supposedly supplying entire rhythm sections with nothing more than a 4-string and an open back guitar combo. Try slapping for real on one of those sometime and see what happens. The dynamics of an actual player will always vary slightly and all it takes is a single overenthusiastic pop and bye-bye speaker, yet in a flurry of hand motion and camera hamming, the tone, timing and individual note volume never deviates outside of a few patterns.

Maybe I'm just a bitter old traditionalist, but I LIKED Heesey's playing as used to showcase the differences in tone between various T-Birds and don't think that he should be slagged for not keeping perfect tempo on music store riffs and then to have his very real playing which involved minimal post production (editing for time, inserting slates and graphics) weighed against the obvious fakery of some cute Asian chick fronting keyboard-sourced basslines, it bugs me because we're players and ought to know better. Maybe it's because I work with live TV every day and know how hard it is to get consistency even in a multimillion dollar studio that when I see what is supposed to be a single camera as-live presentation that is anything but, it grates on me.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 01:50:08 PM by Psycho Bass Guy »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2015, 01:54:17 AM »
Don't recant that rant!!! I'm with you. The only slapper I ever heard that sounded truly like a machine without any tricks was Mark King at a Frankfurt Messe booth in the 80ies. I thought a DX7 keyboard had gone wild, but it was him. And though his bass playing (or Level 42's music in general) does nothing for me emotionally, I respected the athletic aspect of it. I can appreciate slapping if (i) I don't have to do it and (ii) it sounds a little warts and all.

With all due respect to that Japanese girl's hand coordination (or - depending on your view - programming skills), that is not music to me. She might just as well take part in a "fastest typyst competition" in the 60ies.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 04:42:11 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2015, 07:06:47 AM »
I enjoyed the Thunderbird shootout...have always wanted a bird since about '78 or '79.  Through the Ampeg rig, though, they all pretty much sounded good.  Even the Epi with the chrome pups.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2015, 07:09:48 AM »
I dislike 99% of slap I've heard. OTOH there's no such thing as an invalid technique.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2015, 09:37:31 AM »
Think 70's R & B...Music has been de-evolving ever since.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2015, 09:48:00 AM »
Don't get me wrong - the whole slap thing is lost on me - not my bag at all.  But this is like a train wreck that you just have to stop and look at :o   PBG - you almost ruined it for me but I'm not really interested in her playing so, all is good :P

Oh, and I actually liked the $$$ Japanese clone sound the best.  Wouldn't spend the money on one though.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2015, 12:48:23 PM »
My last post was mostly facetious...we all know there are TWO kinds of music...old R & B, and old Country...preferably if there are banjos involved. 

Seriously, all of the T-bird examples sounded good and very similar to me.  Which leaves me with absolutely no idea of what to purchase some day when I'm a little more affluent.  I kinda liked the ones with TB Plus pups, though.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2015, 02:12:53 PM »
I'd like to revise the above statement from my learned friend...
That might need to be increased from two to perchance six forms...
Rhythm and Blues...
Country and Western
Rock and Roll
The edges of which all of the above have been blurring for numerous decades to a point where the original article is somewhat difficult to interpret...
 :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2015, 07:25:06 PM »
I'd like to revise the above statement from my learned friend...
That might need to be increased from two to perchance six forms...
Rhythm and Blues...
Country and Western
Rock and Roll
The edges of which all of the above have been blurring for numerous decades to a point where the original article is somewhat difficult to interpret...
 :mrgreen:

Uh, you forgot the new, aw inspiring "Country Rap"!  :puke: :puke:  Surely this "genre" is the work of Satan his own bad self :rolleyes:  Bob Wills is rolling in his grave :sad:

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2015, 12:03:07 AM »
Rap...? isn't that something you do to your knuckles if your hand slips off the plane...? :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2015, 05:31:59 AM »
you mean this shite here.

"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead