Author Topic: i am sick of NY  (Read 10470 times)

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
i am sick of NY
« on: March 20, 2012, 05:27:36 PM »
ok. i'm sick of new york. been here my whole 39 years. i need a change, the only problem... i have no idea where to go. my girl and i have been talking about it a lot lately.
possible choices
Richmond Va.
Portland Or.
Austin Tx.
nothern California
Australia!
 any good suggestions?  this place sucks.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: i am sick of NY
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 05:58:43 PM »
Denver has a decent job market, no humidity, and is about to have a very interesting NFL season.  It's also close to the mountains - a pretty grat place!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 06:38:52 PM »
You might like Austin - still a great place for music and the job market is not too bad.  The downside is that you will have to have wheels - at very least a scooter.  That and it does get hotter than hell in the summer - no snow to speak of though.  ;D

Birdie, aka Leslie, just moved to NYC from Austin - you might want to look him up and get his input.

Leftybass, aka Ron, is a longtime Austinite - you ought to rattle his cage for the skinny on Austin as well.

SKATE RAT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 07:48:51 PM »
thanks guys, i have been to Breckenridge & Colorado Springs before, never Denver. beautiful but a little too rural for me. Austin on the other hand i have been to a few times and always had a great time plus i have a few friends there.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

SKATE RAT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 07:49:55 PM »
and we have a car and a not working motorcycle

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 08:15:08 PM »
Wow..........2.7 million people in the Denver metro area is too rural??

Check it: that's 1 million people more than the Austin metro area at 1.7 million.

But if Austin floats your boat, be my guest. I lived in that climate (in Bryan 90 miles east) for 13 years and would not repeat the experience.  It's over 90 degrees every day starting in May, and it doesn't get under 90 in the daytime until November. And humidity? Yessir, they have all you need. At least the weather is decent from November through April. And it does have a great music scene.  Not ever gonna get me back, though.

Portland is a great area and has much more moderate weather.  Not as grey and cloudy in the winter as Seattle, which is one of my favorite cities.

Just be aware - anywhere in the West you go, you will need at least one car because there is limited public transportation in most areas, no public transportation between most towns, and it's not unusual to drive 60 miles to go out to dinner.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 08:20:52 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 09:27:29 PM »
I think he meant that Breckenridge and Colo. Springs were a little too rural, not Denver.

Austin's an awfully tough place to establish yourself musically.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 09:33:51 PM »

Seattle!

A scooter is a handy thing if you live in the city, otherwise a car.
Gotta be ready for some rain, but when it's nice, nowhere else even comes close  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

GonzoBass

• View Profile
    • ReverbNation.com/GonzoBass
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 11:49:06 PM »
Hawaii doesn't suck...
 ;)
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass.com

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 04:08:00 AM »
What are you looking for?

No Snow?

Urban?

Jobs?

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 06:53:39 AM »
I agree, NY sucks.  High taxes, high cost of living, too much snow upstate, politics, dysfunctional government....but, we have the best friends and relationships you could ever ask for, so leaving is almost impossible for us to imagine.  The people and relationships are most important us.  We just soldier on and let the positives overcome the negatives.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 07:18:48 AM »
My son just moved to Denver and loves it so far.  He's also working at The Great Divide brewery, which is what he was hoping for.

I'm curious about South Carolina, personally.  Anyone have any info?  I've been considering moving there one day.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 07:26:51 AM »
ok. i'm sick of new york. been here my whole 39 years. i need a change, the only problem... i have no idea where to go. my girl and i have been talking about it a lot lately.
possible choices
Richmond Va.

There's a pretty decent music scene in Richmond, plus it's close to Baltimore, Washington, Norfolk, not too far from Philly, right on I-95.
Robert (Hornisse) lives in Austin and his band plays regularly but they've been established for some time. Also, a friend who moved away from Austin said property taxes have been going through the roof the past few years. He moved away because he couldn't afford to live there any longer though he'd lived there for years. He also said it's not the nice, quaint little music town it used to be.

I'm curious about South Carolina, personally.  Anyone have any info?  I've been considering moving there one day.

I think Charleston is the place to be in South Carolina. Nifty, OLD city, easy access to boring old I-95.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 07:29:05 AM »
been in ny for 55 years....  in my blood but  but it does have issues.  the northern suburbs are really nice but really expensive.  

Have you been to Asheville NC.  great area...
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 07:30:25 AM »
As a lifelong 'yorker going too far south could be troublesome.  we don't fit in that well. 
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM