Author Topic: what to do?  (Read 2071 times)

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
what to do?
« on: October 10, 2011, 07:08:27 PM »
hi guys, i just got this old Fernandez P with no Pg or electronics,that has been routed out for a humbucker. and since i have an extra p Pickguard and a T-40 pup thats been sitting around. it was worth the $40 i paid for it. what would be the best way to wire it up? i know the T-45 used one pup but had 3 knobs or maybe something else? any ideas?
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

SKATE RAT

• View Profile
Re: what to do?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 07:13:26 PM »
i also have a G3 pup. maybe something with both?
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 09:06:02 PM »
I would think you could just use a P wiring diagram from Fender's website - the layout and holes for knobs are already there.  Since the pickguard covers the pickup rout, you can pretty much use any pickup that moves ya and cover up any extra hole area in the body.

The details would be impedence and linear vs. audio taper of the pots, and the tone cap.  That's about all there is to electronics on a P.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

SKATE RAT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 05:29:21 AM »
yeah,but the T40 pup could be used as a split coil too. how would i go about using that feature?

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 06:53:30 AM »
yeah,but the T40 pup could be used as a split coil too. how would i go about using that feature?

Push/pull pot, mini switch or a third pot.  ThunderBucker told me how to do it. I think Guild does it that way on Pilots.  Maybe that's what the third pot on the T-40 is for.

I have a 3 way switch on the 66MAX I'm testing; Single Coil, HB parallel, HB series.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 07:05:35 AM »
The T40 had a clever wiring. When the tone knob was full treble, the pickup was wired as a single coil, and when you dialed off the tone control, the pickup would gradually become a humbucker.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 07:17:13 AM »
The T40 had a clever wiring. When the tone knob was full treble, the pickup was wired as a single coil, and when you dialed off the tone control, the pickup would gradually become a humbucker.

So, you get no full treble with the HB and no full bass with SC?  Or no 'tone' at all?  A push/pull Vol pot (or a mini switch or blend pot with standard Vol) and a standard tone pot give more tone versatility.

I like the full HB mode with treble slightly rolled off on the pup I'm testing, especially with a single pickup setup.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 11:01:25 AM »
Minimalist...

Take one humbucking pup and a volume pot and thrash until you bleed... :vader: ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 02:08:44 AM »
You could make a Gibson twist on a PJ, put the T40 pup on the humbucker route and that G3 pup on bridge.

edit: now i think of it that T40 is a loud mofo I think, it will drown that G3 on bridge. Maybe put that G3 towards the neck.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.