Author Topic: Auditioned for a band  (Read 2692 times)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Auditioned for a band
« on: October 01, 2010, 05:18:03 PM »
It's been a while since I played with anyone but lately I've been thinking it might do me good to get back on the horse.

I found some guys that work for an educational programming company and who have a band. They play conferences every 4-6 weeks for their sales force who the company brings in from around the country. They do a set of the kiddie stuff that's on the software and then do regular sets after the dinner. So they get fed, get paid, and end up getting other gigs off the strength of people seeing them at these sales meetings. It could also be a stretch for me because they transpose stuff for their singer who is young, cute, and definitely female. I'm used to four on the floor rock band stuff so it'd be fun having to learn a wide variety of material.

They rehearse in the band room of the school the company also runs, and have their run of the recording studio there as well. I met with them this week and I guess I did OK because the next morning they called off the other auditions and asked me to join up.

And my first gig is in two weeks. Out of the frying pan...  :o

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: Auditioned for a band
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 05:19:15 PM »
Congrats!!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 05:30:59 PM »
Hey, I'm really happy to hear that, George!!! Seems like recent, uhum, personal circumstances have given Herr Carlston a kick in his Republican butt. Have you checked whether the new bandmates are possibly undercover Democrats? ! - )

I always liked your playing on that track you contributed to our Gibson Bass CD of yore, so, yes, please, by all means stay with these guys and take your Bird-Staffel for a flight. Fräulein Rommel will gladly lend you some of her stage gear so the the chick singer feels some gender kinship, you can always argue that you just woke up dressed that way.

Puts me in a good mood, your decision, Ze Mighty Carlston rocks (or pops) again!!! 

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 05:49:49 PM »
Maybe we'll all fly in for one of your gigs. Are you guys playing any Nugent?;D
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 06:25:08 PM »
Are you guys playing any Nugent?;D

I wish!

Have you checked whether the new bandmates are possibly undercover Democrats? ! - )

The singer's a vegetarian, Uwe, so there's a good chance I reside somewhat to her right in the political spectrum. She's cute enough that I can let that slide though.  Plus she plays a nice Gretsch guitar so she can't be too delusional. :mrgreen:

Thanks for your good thoughts. Things have been tough as of late and that's one of the reasons I decided I should play again. Playing music makes me happy. I can spend hours learning new material or rehearsing a band but it never feels like work. I need that kind of outlet again. I figure I'll give them a breaking in period before I start bringing up new material and stage dress possibilities in rehearsal...  ;)

Garrett

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 08:49:20 PM »
Sounds like fun.....Congrats!

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 08:55:49 PM »
Enjoy it George. You deserve to have some fun again  ;D
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Hornisse

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 09:09:05 PM »
Congratulations George!  I started playing again in 1996 after my divorce.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 09:21:21 PM »
Congratulations, George. The music may not be what you would play in your ideal band, but this sounds like what you need now -- and they want you.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 09:33:25 PM »
Congrats George!  Sounds like a fun!

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 11:52:32 PM »
Good on ya George! When I have to play basslines to songs that I'm not really particularly into I remind myself that a bassline is a bassline is a bassline regardless of the context of the song. Enjoy mate!
Digresion our specialty!

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 01:25:11 AM »
Itheir singer who is young, cute, and definitely female

Ok, time for the really important stuff now: did you see any weddingish ring on her finger? :D
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2010, 04:20:56 AM »
Knock 'em dead, George!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2010, 08:07:49 AM »
Remember that veggies don't eat meat... :o

Have fun and post something once you get gigging...!
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2010, 09:05:37 AM »
Thanks everybody. A few comments:

No ring. I'll have to suss out the playing field as we move along. I've never had a girl in the band so that'll be different. 

I'm actually liking the idea that the music might be a little out of my comfort zone. I could use the challenge. Most of the material they mentioned is stuff I've at least heard, so it's not that far out of my purview.

Their schedule seems like one I can work with right now. That's a huge plus on both ends. Also, they seem like good folks so I'm hoping their company will be as much friendship as band mates (because we all know those two things can be mutually exclusive).  ;D