Author Topic: Chromey Checkerboard 'Bird  (Read 2856 times)

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
Re: Chromey Checkerboard 'Bird
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 05:04:15 PM »
whoa? what are those orange cabs?
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Hornisse

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010, 08:12:08 PM »
http://www.bassplayer.com/BlogComments.aspx?id=99817

Bryan Beller posted a blog regarding the Lull T bass.  He then went on to dog the original Gibson T-Bird though......... :rolleyes:

"I can't tell you how much fun it is to play this thing. Unlike the model that inspired it, it is a DREAM to play. The neck feels amazing, everything feels right on both hands, and it sounds huge. If you ever wanted to play (and, let's admit it, look as cool as those who do play) a vintage T-Bird but just couldn't get over what a dog the actual instrument was, this thing will blow your mind."

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2010, 08:52:37 PM »
Too bad - whatever he is he's not a salesman.  A true pro will never make such a negative comment about competitive equipment and then brag on their product - it's proven that this will hurt you.

It would have been just as easy to build up the Lull by saying something along the lines of... " The vintage Tbirds are very nice but this one does so much more............."   

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2010, 09:03:45 PM »
Too bad - whatever he is he's not a salesman.  A true pro will never make such a negative comment about competitive equipment and then brag on their product - it's proven that this will hurt you.

It would have been just as easy to build up the Lull by saying something along the lines of... " The vintage Tbirds are very nice but this one does so much more............."  

Agreed. We know the originals aren't perfect, but if they were such dogs, nobody would consider them worth copying.

What a turdhead. And an embarrassment to Lull, whether Lull knows it or not.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2010, 07:51:07 AM »
I like what Lull did. Even better is that orange pearl paint job.

Chaser001

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2010, 08:41:28 AM »
The comment about a T-Bird being a dog was quite tasteless.  I think I'd rather be the judge myself of whether or not I like a T-Bird rather than following the opinion of someone else, regardless of who the person may be. 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 09:41:28 AM by Chaser001 »

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2010, 10:38:42 AM »

Meh............Everybody's got an opinion, but we all know the analogy.

He is right about Lull's being a dream to play, they balance perfectly, have a nice arm carve, tummy cut and if you need to "go there" a very nicely sculpted heel, all things Gibson could have done at some point over the last 40 years and choose not to. The pickup might as well be a '60s Gibson and being handmade there is no point in comparing his bass to a Gibson - I have both, my "go to" bass for a show is usually one of my '76s, of all mine they're my faves, but the Lull is a fine bass, there's only one other member of this board that has one and he has all the vintages of Gibson 'Birds to compare it with and has stated that the Lull is the best of them.............   
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2010, 11:02:22 AM »
Mark, the Lulls may be all that. I have no reason to doubt you. But if something is a POS, then it's not worth copying. The originals didn't get to be iconic by being bad.

It doesn't help Lull's reputation to have an endorser or quasi-official spokesman saying that the originals were real dogs. If I were in the market for a Lull, that would really put me off.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2010, 04:37:57 PM »
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so they say...

An opinion is just an opinion, and I've never heard of this guy until this thread...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Chaser001

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2010, 05:13:19 PM »
This thread has become my favorite thread of all time on any message board.  When I came back and edited a post this morning, I noticed an address I had written on a piece of paper to my upper right.  I was horrified when I realized there was a mistake on the address.  I had just mailed an extremely important package overseas with an incomplete address.  I rushed back to the post office and was able to make the change before the package was mailed.  Had I not come back to my computer to look at this thread one more time, someone would probably not have received a package and another person wouldn't have received a payment.  Even if the package had ultimately been returned to sender, that still would have created a totally unacceptable delay for all concerned.  This thread rocks.   :rimshot:

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2010, 05:19:46 PM »
Bitchen bird! Does Lull charge extra for leftys?  8)

Jeff Ament's a BADASS! Love his playing, especially on Temple of the Dog.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2010, 06:03:45 PM »
Bitchen bird! Does Lull charge extra for leftys?  8)

Jeff Ament's a BADASS! Love his playing, especially on Temple of the Dog.

Good question Terry,

if you're serious email paul@mikelull.com 
That's Paul Schuster, Mike's General Manager, I'm certain he can answer that for you.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2010, 07:31:16 PM »
Interesting. Look at how many frets it has. Can you actually reach 'em!

I ask myself the same question when I look at some of those big arsed ERB's. Though plenty of guys seem to be able to playe 'em.  :o
Digresion our specialty!