Author Topic: Jermaine Jackson, the bass player  (Read 10010 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Jermaine Jackson, the bass player
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 11:58:00 AM »
It isn't Jermaine Jackson himself which is the issue to me;  what I have to object to is that particular style of music.  Simply put, I hate it.  In Jessica Simpson's case, she has no talent at all.  Of course, to her credit, I think she sadly recognizes that fact.

Ashlee has the vocal talent in the Simpson family.  ;D

Rocker949

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2009, 01:00:05 PM »
After her Saturday Night Live debacle, I still don't see how Ashlee had the nerve to even show her face in public again.  And from what I'm hearing about botched performances, Jessica seems on the verge of a breakdown. 

Blazer

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 06:14:30 PM »
When the Duff sisters released their cover of Madonna's "Material girl" I cringed. Not only because of how they performed that song but also because they failed to recognize the sarcastic message of the song. The song is not about glorifying materialism, it's actually about putting real material girls in a bad light. It depicts material girls as being shallow and stuck up. Madonna really put that across and in the video in particular as she's seen going out on a date with a guy who just offers her a bouquet of daisies and they drive away in a pickup truck.

But Hilary and Haily Duff apparently were too dumb to realize that. They proudly pronounce themselves to be "Material girls" while singing a song that lyrics-wise probably is the most ANTI materialistic song. 

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 05:21:16 AM »
Ashlee has the vocal talent in the Simpson family.  ;D

Daddy Simpson has got all the  REAL talent in the family. He has got to be the best promoter in the business. This is the guy who could sell stink to a skunk, but he doesn't. He knows that skunks don't have any money(except for Pee Pee Le'pew). So , he sells stink to the people (who do have money). He sells a lot of stink to a lot of people and he's been doing it for years, and the worse it stinks , he finds some way to put put a spin on it and sell  a lot more.
Can you imagine what he could accomplish if he actually had something to sell that didn't stink :o
Rick

luve2fli

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 07:51:46 AM »
Hey Rahrock - something tells me you don't give a rat's ass ....

;D

Seriously, I don't have any particular problem with Jermaine Jackson but that Youtube recording was AWFUL. If that's an indicator of his bassplaying skills, you can keep it. I'm not anti-slap but that was like a really rank impression of early Larry Graham with bad synth sounds layered on top. Poorly executed, shite sound and kinda trite, to be honest. His work with the Jacksons, however, was quite good I thought (in a pop kinda way).

I'm with Dave - time for some freakin' Johnny Cash or something ......
"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)

rockinrayduke

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2009, 10:56:36 AM »
His work with the Jacksons, however, was quite good I thought (in a pop kinda way).

That's because the bass was played by a session bassist. Next should we consider the fine musical talents of Peter Tork? :mrgreen:

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2009, 11:00:34 AM »
That's because the bass was played by a session bassist. Next should we consider the fine musical talents of Peter Tork?

I'll bet any pics of Peter in the recording studio look a lot like Carol Kaye.  ;)

Still, Peter wrote and sung "Your Auntie Grizelda." The man's a lyrical genius.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009, 11:14:03 AM »
Some of that Peter Tork stuff was also recorded by Larry Taylor of Canned Heat and John Mayall fame.
Rick

rockinrayduke

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2009, 11:52:07 AM »
Playing the part of a bass player in your group doesn't make you a really for real bass player. Now Danny Bonaduce on the other hand, there's a talent.  :mrgreen:

luve2fli

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2009, 02:31:34 PM »
That's because the bass was played by a session bassist.

Yup, I read that ..... I'm talking about his live stuff .... backups, bassplaying, choreography - ya gotta admit, the guy was pretty entertaining. And it was him playing bass on all the live stuff.
"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)

rockinrayduke

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2009, 03:12:22 PM »
I'm talking about his live stuff .... backups, bassplaying, choreography

I'll give you that. I was in a Vegas show band so I know about dancing whilst playing, it is an acquired talent and takes hard work.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2009, 05:37:40 AM »
Playing the part of a bass player in your group doesn't make you a really for real bass player. Now Danny Bonaduce on the other hand, there's a talent.  :mrgreen:

Yep, him and that guy in the Muppets were definately the bomb. ;D
Rick