Author Topic: "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few..."  (Read 5286 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile

Perhaps an interesting footnote to all of this, I'm currently reading a book titled "Oil and War" which is basically about oil's part in WWII on both sides, so far a very interesting read.

That does sound interesting, especially the Allies continued bombing of the Ploesti (spelling) oilfields.

One common misconception of WWII is the belief that German tanks and armored vehicles ran on diesel fuel. In actual fact, most of the diesel fuel was reserved for U-boat use. Once I read that I was suddenly appalled trying to imagine the fuel mileage of a Tiger tank running on gasoline!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com

Without going into specifics (since I'm at work  ;) )  the huge misconception about the German Army is that it was "motorized" when in fact it was largly horse-drawn.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

eb2

• View Profile
Oil and War, indeed!  Hence the ill-timed swing south to Kiev!  Moscow was effectively abandoned, and the propaganda impact of the German army taking the Kremlin was avoided thankfully.

Goering was a supremely confident and feisty character once he was locked up in Spandau and kicked his dope habit.  He got very lucid, and figured out he better off himself.

There was a bit I read ages back about how RAF veterans had almost no hypertension and were in great health long after the war.  Steely sons of guns. 

Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
When I was in high school I wrote Albert Speer and got his autograph. Under Speer munitions production increased drastically, even with all the bombings. They problem was they couldn't get half that stuff to the front because the Allies were bombing the hell out of the railways.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com

Really!?

That's quite something, Speer's story was also a very good read. 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
even a small place like Crete cost us our paratrooper force for the rest of the war.

You know, those mad cretes down there still have some Lugers hidden in their houses, just in case someone wants to invade them again... ;)
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Big_Stu

• View Profile
If this
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00ttjz0/First_Light/

is half as good as the book it'll be amazing. I only read it last month & it's the next best thing to sitting in a two-seater Spit during a battle. True story based on the pilots autobiog; he was a "veteran" at 20!  :o

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Ken, on 15 September 1990, 168 aircraft in seven formations celebrated the 50th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain.

Missed this posting (and with it being BoB day today) - They probably couldn't muster that many aircraft now... :sad:

The RAF is quite literally fighting for survival with the formation of a "Combined Forces"; there is also talk of the French and British Navies sharing aircraft carriers - apparently they only go to see every other year...???

There are imminent and stringent cuts due to be anounced for our Armed Forces this week...

For the 70th Anniversary - todays big event was unveiling a statue to the Kiwi that looked after the RAF protecting London... :-\
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...