Author Topic: New Hipshot Bridge to fit 50's/early 60's Gibsons  (Read 2377 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
New Hipshot Bridge to fit 50's/early 60's Gibsons
« on: June 30, 2010, 07:29:10 AM »
I just called Hipshot to follow up on my search for a 2-point bridge to fit my '64 EB-0.  

I spoke with Bill in their shop...thanks to requests (one from a kind gent on this forum who loaned them a bass to measure) they have modified the 2-point SuperTone bridge and it will replace their existing 2-point in about 4 weeks. That's when their next production run will happen.

The mod is that the G-string side post hole will be elongated and a set screw will be added on the neck side.  If you have the 50's through early 60's Gibson series, just back the screw out and the offset posts will align the bridge correctly.  If you have a later Gibson, run the set screw in to the point where it lines up the posts, and you're good to go.

VERY nice and helpful people!

So - you Gibson types searching for a bridge, you're about to be helped.

I'm usually a cheap type and scour Ebay for stuff like this, but in this case I'll call them at the end of July and get in line at full retail.  They deserve it for solving this problem.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 07:26:46 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: New Hipshot Bridge to fit 50's/early 60's Gibsons
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 07:52:52 AM »
Excellent!

From your description, it sounds like a logical way to handle it without having to market a separate bridge.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 06:03:11 PM »
Excellent!

From your description, it sounds like a logical way to handle it without having to market a separate bridge.

It sounds that way to me...and a very nice solution to create a bridge that should sell well for them.  It should yield a bridge that intonates much better than the original bar bridge.

For my purposes, it has a bonus.  The BadAss bridge on mine left three screw holes which I think the Hipshot will  cover up!

Here's the current Hipshot bridge...I easily visualize the G side mounting hole elongated to accommodate the offset posts which are shown in the photo above.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 07:49:37 PM »
Nice work Pilgrim.
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 08:18:46 PM »
Thanks, but I was just the lucky guy who asked the question at the right time.  MARICOPAA on this forum was the gent who provided the bass to Hipshot - that gave them the measurements they needed.

And full marks to Hipshot - they stepped up to fill a gap in the market.

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 08:22:21 PM »
one thing though, i see the bridge offered with studs but i never see the inserts ... the part that goes into the wood.

do these inserts come with the bridge or are they available for the person who is doing a new build?
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 08:59:27 PM »
Looks like it might cover those holes.

@ sniper dog:  TonePros makes locking studs and inserts for various tune-o-matic and wraparound guitar bridges, not sure but I think they ought to work for a new build on a bass bridge. Hipshot makes guitar bridges too so they would probably know if the hole sizes are compatible.

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 03:54:17 PM »
thanks...available at stewmac:

http://www.stewmac.com/shopby/product/5634

;D ;D

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 04:09:50 PM »
NICE!!!  The pieces are coming together....

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 09:32:02 AM »
thanks...available at stewmac:

http://www.stewmac.com/shopby/product/5634

;D ;D

I've used these before, they are nice.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 01:08:04 PM »
Some good news.....

I just got around to checking out the storage compartment in the EB-0 case, and guess what I found?

The ORIGINAL bar bridge, with posts!  And that bridge covers the screw holes left by the BadAss bridge.  Nice.

(And I found the brochure and plastic case for the BadAss bridge...now on auction on Ebay).

So.....once I get a pickup in the neck position and the headstock crack fixed, I can decide whether I need a replacement bridge at all!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 02:17:26 PM »
Some people... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 02:33:12 PM »
Some people... ;)

Check the storage box in the case!?!  Who does that?   :P

Actually, I'm gonna need one and I'd much prefer a Hipshot to the original for my 70's EB-3.  Thanks for doing this Al and Marricopa.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 06:07:39 PM »
Some good news.....

I just got around to checking out the storage compartment in the EB-0 case, and guess what I found?

The ORIGINAL bar bridge, with posts!  And that bridge covers the screw holes left by the BadAss bridge.  Nice.

(And I found the brochure and plastic case for the BadAss bridge...now on auction on Ebay).

So.....once I get a pickup in the neck position and the headstock crack fixed, I can decide whether I need a replacement bridge at all!

That's a nice find!

The bar bridge does work. Not if you have to have every note to the exact cent, but if you can live with the intonation on your Ovation Applause, you can probably live with the bar bridge.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010, 08:10:52 PM »
That's a nice find!

The bar bridge does work. Not if you have to have every note to the exact cent, but if you can live with the intonation on your Ovation Applause, you can probably live with the bar bridge.

A nice comparison, and, I suspect, true! 

I'm impressed - whoever changed the bridge must have been as thorough as I am about keeping original equipment.  I'm grateful he did.