Author Topic: Chinese Fender Bass  (Read 7629 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: Chinese Fender Bass
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2012, 02:43:26 AM »
Cool, congrats! I'm very curious about your review!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2012, 01:17:29 PM »
 She's here! Overall I like it a lot.  I am a vintage/USA kinda guy but I have to say along with my VM Squire Tele it is making me rethink that attitude. This thing will make mince meat of your little practice amp. I can't wait to run it through a big rig.  For this price point very nice fret work, the neck has a vintage tint, they went a little overboard on it could be lightened up a bit. The body is a nice two piece alder and the two tone sunburst gives it a cool vintage vibe. The three ply parchment guard it gives the bass a understated look, I had thought I'd change it to black but for the moment it will stay stock. My only complaint finish wise is that there are raised streaks in the body finish, look like thin sap veins, I am not all that bothered but I may send the bass back and hope to get a body that is clearer. Fit and finish are very good, nice tight neck pocket almost a gimmie these days but it's good to see. The controls while certainty not the best pots are usable and don't have a horrible taper, I will change them at some point. I like the high mass bridge but it has a annoying quirk  as you lower the saddles one end of the saddle tends to lift up, you can't lower the saddle all the way down. I was however able to get the bass set up with action low enough to satisfy most players, If I have to I'll break out the files ;) I doubt this bass is for everybody but if you are looking to fill a large portion of the sonic spectrum this might be the ticket for you. Think Dusty Hill on early ZZ Top or Geezer Butler. Even through a SS amp this bass will have big ones. Pictures soon.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 02:49:08 PM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2012, 05:15:58 AM »
Cool! I'm curious about your further comments.

we tigers

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2012, 08:41:06 AM »
Sounds good. If I come across one in a music store I'll definitely try one.

Ampig

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2012, 06:20:48 AM »
I recently bought the sunburst version, and I am suprised by the fit and finish of this bass.  Two piece body, but nice matching grain, and a seamless fit, no sharp frets, and overal just a stunning looking bass.  Nice "chunky" neck, and after playing it through my Ampeg SVT VR, I really like the ballsy lows this bass sends through the two Orange cabs (4x10 & 1x15) I'm using.  It's no match for my oversized les paul or '78 Grabber, but the Chinese seem to have learned how to make a pretty good bass.