Author Topic: Chinese Fender Bass  (Read 7620 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Chinese Fender Bass
« on: January 22, 2012, 07:14:54 AM »
I have a Fender bass at home for a review. It's a new Chinese Modern Player Tele Bass. (MP) No gigbag, as expensive as a standard Mexican P, but ofcourse a strange animal.

As you know it's made in the Squier factory. I have the Squier TB Bass, which is almost the same, but with one pick up. The MP has two. Some differences:

- The whole neck/fretboard is lacquered. The Squier TB has an unpainted neck, but the Squier '54 Tele has. So I think it's the same neck as this one, but with 'Fender' on it. No 'Tele' or 'Precision' on it. Just 'Fender'.

- The Squier TB has two brass saddles and is string through. The MP has four brass saddles and it has the non-string through Himass bridge. Again the same as on the Squier '54.

- Ofcourse it has two pickups and so an extra volume control. Cheap pots and cheap controls without an adjustment screw.

- According to the site it has an alder body and not basswood like the Squier.

In short it's the neck and the bridge of the Squier '54 combined with the TB-body.

My review example is butterscotch with a black guard and that one looks MUCH better than the sunburst version. Because of its white plate and black pickup ring it's a bit too much... This one is just like it was designed that way in '72 and I always think the pickguard of the '72 Tele is the nicest Fender-guard.

This bass looks very good, it resonates good, it's very well made and in Holland it costs approximately 500 euros. The Squier TB is 350 or something and a standard Mexican P 450. So for 150 euros extra, compared to the TB, you have a better bridge, a lacquered neck, a Fender decal, an extra pickup and extra body woods. I think it's worth it.

I only played it acoustic yet, but the body resonates very well. For the first time in years I'm a bit in love with a Fender bass... And I reviewed quite a lot of 'm. Last great one was the 50s P.

More on it when I played it trough an amp.

Of course I also think it's strange Fender puts its name on a Chinese bass.

OW: AND I LOVE THE NEW PAWNSHOP GUITAR AMPS... I would almost start to play guitar....

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Chinese Fender Bass
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 09:57:26 AM »
Interesting.  Pictures, please.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 12:33:09 PM »
played one in GC a few days ago .  thru a crappy GC acoustic so i am not guite sure.  but ii thought the bass lacked some clarity with the neck pup.  Sounded great when favoring the bridge like a supercharged j bass  but 50/50 or neck favored i felt the bass lacked clarity.  I have never been a huge fan of mudbuckers anyway so TIFWII but i felt the neck pup should be moved back towards the bridge a few inches and then i might really like it.  I may wind up buying one and getting a new pickguard so i can move it back but first i need to make sure my theory on the placement would work.  Also the pups are slightly less powerful than my 72 but still in your face.
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 02:08:27 AM »
played one in GC a few days ago .  thru a crappy GC acoustic so i am not guite sure.  but ii thought the bass lacked some clarity with the neck pup.  Sounded great when favoring the bridge like a supercharged j bass  but 50/50 or neck favored i felt the bass lacked clarity.  I have never been a huge fan of mudbuckers anyway so TIFWII but i felt the neck pup should be moved back towards the bridge a few inches and then i might really like it.  I may wind up buying one and getting a new pickguard so i can move it back but first i need to make sure my theory on the placement would work.  Also the pups are slightly less powerful than my 72 but still in your face.

Why wouldn't it work? I think it would sound more focused with the pickups closer together in Jazz Bass positions.
On this Ted Nugent clip the bassist has a modded Tele (or early single coil Precision) with two humbuckers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BGktdnrQZvU#t=97s

Is it David Hull on bass, btw? If it is, he wasn't very long in the lineup. Great player, love his bass work on those Buddy Miles Express albums.

E: It's probably John Sauter who wasn't very long in the Nugent band either. Great playing anyway.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 02:25:12 AM by Pekka »

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 07:41:51 AM »
Like that bass solo! And always nice too see how long it takes for a director to see the bass is soloing:)

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 06:37:28 AM »

E: It's probably John Sauter who wasn't very long in the Nugent band either. Great playing anyway.

That is John Sauter.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 07:03:51 AM »
 That was awesome! Looked like he had two humbuckers installed on the bass, Who made them I have no idea.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 08:28:59 AM »
They look MM-ish?

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 02:45:33 PM »
Could they be big ol' Guild 'buckers with the covers off?

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 11:19:10 PM »
That is John Sauter.

Thanks. His photo is also on the innersleeve of "Weekend Warriors" where he has a different Telecaster. Again with two humbuckers but with black covers.

How long John was with Ted? He plays on some of the tracks on the album and David Hull plays on some. Maybe John quit/was replaced during the sessions and David Hull took over. Then Dave Kiswiney who played on tour but not on "State Of Shock" which had Walt Monaghan on bass. Ted's albums had a curious amount of old British jazz-rockers playing on.;)

« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 11:27:53 PM by Pekka »

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 11:20:25 PM »
Could they be big ol' Guild 'buckers with the covers off?

Or Dimarzio like on those early Hamers?

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 09:13:14 AM »
not a fan of ted's musically or politically but i did see him in long ago. his bassist was rob grange who i thought was just great.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 09:46:16 AM »
Or Dimarzio like on those early Hamers?

I think the DiMarzios were X2N-style, conventional sized humbuckers with bars (not individual polepieces).

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 09:52:18 AM »
not a fan of ted's musically or politically but i did see him in long ago. his bassist was rob grange who i thought was just great.

Loved Rob's playing
http://robgrangebass.com/index.html
Great pics and videos, plus some good gear info. Check the vids from 2010 of him onstage with Ted and Derek for the first time in 30+ years.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 04:47:41 PM »
Back to the Modern Player Tele bass - I think I'm going to find a store with one of those in stock and check it out.  I'm curious.  My first stop will be my locally owned store, Spotlight Music in Fort Collins.

The sunburst version appeals to me.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."