Author Topic: Any replacement P-bass pickups that sound like a grey-bottom pickup ?  (Read 3079 times)

bostonguitarrepair

• View Profile
    • My Blog, The Guitar Garage
Another question for those more experienced than I (me ?).

Was having a discussion with someone about how the Fender reissue '62 P-bass pickups, Seymour Duncan P-bass pickups and even one set of Lindy Fralin P-bass pickups all seemed TOO bright. 

Are there reissue pickups that sound more like an old grey bottom (late 60s/70s) P-bass pickup ?

Would the key be less windings - more windings - different magnets ??  Grey paper ???

I'm looking for a solid sounding pickup, but without as much bite on the high-end.  The 62 reissues almost sound "clacky" to my ears - which I admit may not be the most undamaged ears in the world ... standing close to the PA at too many CBGBs all-ages shows in my youth ...

thanks

krishna

Bart!

• View Profile
Re: Any replacement P-bass pickups that sound like a grey-bottom pickup ?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 02:20:09 AM »
In  my Squier JV Precision I used Fralins and SD Antiquity`s. The Antiquity`s came closer to my Fender `68 than the Fralins, which sounded good, but a bit to neat/modern in my ears. The JV is a beater and I`m going to make it a P/J. If they would make them matching, I would have bought Antiquity`s.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 06:57:34 AM by Bart! »

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 02:35:56 AM »
Has anyone tried these or other Novaks?

http://www.curtisnovak.com/pickups/pb-cc.shtml

bostonguitarrepair

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 08:32:17 AM »
Wow - neat idea - sounds like he's addressing some of the tone complaints I have about the Fender re-issues.

I had Curtis build me a pickup for my Jetstar - rebuilt from one of the recent Dearmond Turbo pickups - and he really seems to know his stuff and be meticulous.

Krishna

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 08:36:04 AM »
I must say I don't know him, but a friend of mine told me about him.

bostonguitarrepair

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 04:38:46 PM »
Replying to my own question:

I tried a 63 P-bass that had a Seymour Duncan Antiquity 2 P-bass pickup installed - and it sounded a lot more like what I'm used to - not "clanky" at all.  They aren't cheap - but they are a lot cheaper than finding a working grey-bottom pickup these days !

Krishna

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 01:30:09 AM »
 I'm not a Fender guy but I have had a few over the years and one of my biggest complaints have been pickups.  For instance the reissue  60's J pups I found brittle sounding, the new '08s also. I put a Seymour Duncan Hot for Jazz pickup in the neck position of my '08 AS Jazz bass and now it sounds fantastic ! A major difference, I am going to install a Hot for Jazz in the bridge position next. I have a '74 P that I love the sound of.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 04:54:36 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird