Author Topic: A Telecaster bass destroyed by Mike Mills?  (Read 6344 times)

Blazer

A Telecaster bass destroyed by Mike Mills?
« on: April 24, 2009, 02:34:13 PM »

I'll be frank, I always considered Mills to be LEAST likely player to smash a bass.

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
Re: A Telecaster bass destroyed by Mike Mills?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 05:40:59 PM »
they killed tele! you bastards!
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 04:12:14 AM »
Hmmm..... that's a bit different from my routine. ???......at the end of the night I usually wipe mine down gently with a microfiber cloth, give it a little smooch and tuck it in its case and say goodnight.
Rick

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 06:47:00 AM »
A sad sight. And for no apparent reason, unless I missed something. It's not like he was out front making a show of it like Townshend.

nofi

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 07:24:29 AM »
maybe he couldn't stand the stench coming from the allegedly unwashed stipe any longer. ;)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 03:48:04 PM »
Pointless... :sad:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 05:15:29 AM »
I remember an old interview with Chet Atkins, where they played him clips of Townsend and a few other guitarists destroying their instruments on stage. The interviewer played them for Chet and tried to provoke some outrage against the new generation of musicians and their behavior, but Chet remained cool (as always). He just smiled and said something like "Aw shucks, I don't know, I reckon a whole lot of those guitars needed bustin' up anyway".
Rick

Blazer

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 07:07:28 AM »
I remember an old interview with Chet Atkins, where they played him clips of Townsend and a few other guitarists destroying their instruments on stage. The interviewer played them for Chet and tried to provoke some outrage against the new generation of musicians and their behavior, but Chet remained cool (as always). He just smiled and said something like "Aw shucks, I don't know, I reckon a whole lot of those guitars needed bustin' up anyway".
Rick

Buy the "Gretsch book" and see that Atkins ruined a lot of very nice Gretsch guitars himself by installing pickups in the fingerboard and by adding multiple switches to get as many sounds from them.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 11:14:19 AM »
Screwing something up on a quest to improve it, is quite different from screwing something up just for the sake of screwing something up .
Rick
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 12:23:39 PM by rahock »

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 03:37:50 PM »
You dont actually see him do it. You can hear the bass de-tune then the next time you see it its headless. I'm wondering if he got a little exuberant when he took the bass off from around his neck and smacked the headstock into something snapping it off.

He doesn't look like he is particularly interested in smashing it to bits.
Digresion our specialty!

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 05:04:19 PM »
It was a 72 Tele Bass.  That's ok.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 04:08:41 AM »
Looks more like an accident to me too. Perhaps the neck had already been fixed before and tore off when he bumped it. Imagining the REM bass player breaking something on purpose is hard to do. He'd feel guilty.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 10:33:04 PM »
You dont actually see him do it. You can hear the bass de-tune then the next time you see it its headless. I'm wondering if he got a little exuberant when he took the bass off from around his neck and smacked the headstock into something snapping it off.

He doesn't look like he is particularly interested in smashing it to bits.

I think the detuning was the guitarist tuning his E string down to D to get a drone, but I think he smashed it though, probably couldn't stand the harmonies, sounds like they've been listening to too many Beatles records lately.

Blazer

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2009, 05:07:16 PM »
I think the detuning was the guitarist tuning his E string down to D to get a drone, but I think he smashed it though, probably couldn't stand the harmonies, sounds like they've been listening to too many Beatles records lately.

Errr. that particullar song they played is a VERY old one.

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 10:24:28 AM »
Errr. that particullar song they played is a VERY old one.

What is your point? That performance isn't very old and those harmonies are not on the original recording. They are very Beatlesque but not very good.