Author Topic: James Brown with Bootsy on bass  (Read 1710 times)

Blazer

James Brown with Bootsy on bass
« on: March 04, 2009, 06:25:22 AM »

Legend was that Bootsy Collins joined the James Brown band playing bass on a danelectro guitar strung up with bass strings. And that James Brown took him aside one day and said "Son, you cannot be in the James brown band playing that ruler on a cornflake box, now why don't we get out and get you some proper equipment. What kind of instrument do you want to have?" to which the young bassplayer replied "One of them Fender basses with pearls in the neck and two of them Ampeg bass amps that look like big refrigerators." expecting Brown to laugh in his face but Brown smiled and said "Son, I like your style, let's go out and get you them things."

I guess that we all have to thank James Brown for being so generous to his young pupil in those days.

patman

• View Profile
Re: James Brown with Bootsy on bass
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 12:24:21 PM »
I just met Bootsy a couple of weeks ago...one of the sweetest, nicest most gracious men I have ever met...he autographed my Dano...it says "To Pat, Finger Funkin' from Bootsy Collins", and then has a little stick man w/ a smiley face next to it.

Have a picture of him signing the bass, but I can't figure out how to get it here...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 12:55:06 PM by patman »

EvilLordJuju

• Mud is its own reward
    • View Profile
    • Fly Guitars
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 07:02:41 AM »
What a brilliant clip. thanks for posting!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 09:06:03 AM »
DANG!

If James Brown was the hardest workin' man in show biz, then his band must have been the hardest workin' band in show biz.  Those boys COOKED.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

luve2fli

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 12:48:55 PM »
Actually, Maceo Parker's road band is probably the hardest working band in show business today. Not very far removed from JB's guys, some are alumni ...... all are deadly on their instruments.
"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)