Author Topic: A telecaster bass with the "Pow" of a stingray?  (Read 4719 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: A telecaster bass with the "Pow" of a stingray?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 06:32:38 PM »
That would be a decent deal if only it had the original pickup.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 02:48:11 AM »
I have an original pick up. But no 1.200 to buy the bass;)

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 11:17:04 AM »
I would rather have the original bridge than the boat anchor original pup.  The Bartolini probably sounds better.  These days, the price is probably cheap.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 06:08:09 PM »
yeah but the original bridge sucks i think the BADASS is better.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 02:20:13 PM »
Suck is too strong a word for the Tele bridge.  I like a Badass too, but if I were to mod a Telebass, I think using the modern P-bass bridge gives the same functions but keeps the string-through and the Fender look. 

rodl2005

• I like a nice warm tube....ahhhh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 08:42:27 PM »
I'm wondering if this is a Squier  TB ???? No probly not.  I've seen far worse!! ;D
EB Music Man Stingray 5/Fender '05 Am.Series Jazz/Fender Reggie Hamilton Jazz/Epiphone Explorer/Modded Palatino EUB/Custom P-bass/Ibanez AFB140-basses. Ampeg SVTII/V4BH/Mark Bass LMII-Amps. Bergantino NV215 & NV610/AguilarGS112/GS115-cabs. Wilson, Humphrey Audio, E.H.& Digitech-FX.

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 07:35:50 PM »
I had one of those, it sounded like krap. A Fender with a humbucker at the bridge is not a good idea. The older ones with the single coil pickup sound great. I would avoid these at all costs unless you want a collector's item. The early ones were basically a reissue of the early P bass.

Blazer

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 03:16:31 AM »
I had one of those, it sounded like krap. A Fender with a humbucker at the bridge is not a good idea. The older ones with the single coil pickup sound great. I would avoid these at all costs unless you want a collector's item. The early ones were basically a reissue of the early P bass.

Maybe so but the bass in the auction had a Stingray humbucker at the neck.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 03:55:06 PM »
 I'd Dark Star that bad boy !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 06:08:41 PM »
Only the original will give you that genuine fart-in-the-bathtub tone.

Blazer

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 06:31:23 PM »

You know, I once saw a jazz combo and the bassplayer was playing a Telebass with a replacement Fretless P-bass neck. That thing was just pumping low end like a motherf***er, he really got that blooming growl of a double bass coming out of that thing. So knowing that I am still watching out to get my hands on a Squier VM bass so I can put a fretless neck on that and do the same thing.

Tele basses also make excellent Reggae basses.

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 09:49:59 PM »
I used my Tele with an NOS humbucker and flats at a few gigs, and on certain songs it was amazing - pure BASS!!! Not for all styles, but for some things it was perfect. I remember it performing really well on Paul Simon's "Late in the Evening" - lots of stuff going on up top and in the mids, but I ruled the low frequencies on that one.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 06:32:00 PM »
I appreciated the low end on my 72, but when I had it I also had a 69.  The necks were virtually the same, although the 72 had the bullet and 3 bolt microtilt thing.  But although the body should have been pretty much the same, the 72 was much heavier and had that horrendous thick plastic-y finish.  It just never felt as good at all.  And the Fender humbucker really did something to the sound of the strings, very heavy but nasal at the same time.  While most feel the DiMarzio model One is an anemic replacement for a Gibson mudbucker, I would venture to guess that it is a sonic improvement on the Fender.  I would guess a Stingray pup would maybe sound ok in one, with active electronics and all, as the early MM basses were kind of heavy like a 70s Tele.  I don't know if a Bartolini could deliver the pow of a Stingray pup, as they aren't the same.  I can't say I couldn't live without their P pups or the classic Hi-A.

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2008, 04:54:21 PM »

That's what I meant by sounded like krap. ;D

The early Tele's with the single coil pickups sounded great, virtual copy of an early P bass.
I assume Stingray's came with Bartolini's?