Gear Discussion Forums > Other Bass Brands

Hamer 8 string in action

<< < (9/10) > >>

Pekka:

--- Quote from: uwe on December 19, 2017, 05:48:53 PM ---"Simon Phillips was probably the best drummer they had technically ..."

SP has great chops, but you can't reduce him to just that

--- End quote ---

I don't and I really am a big fan of his playing. I don't care for Toto but I love his playing on for example "801 Live", Mike Rutherford's "A Smallcreep's Day", Gary Moore's "Back On The Streets" and the aforementioned Pete Townshend albums. "Give Blood" is an amazing drum track by him.

Pekka:

--- Quote from: slinkp on December 19, 2017, 08:11:16 PM ---
Instead I will say thanks DMN for posting another great Zep track. I never realized there was 8-string on this album! I had assumed there were doubled guitar lines, but this makes much more sense sonically, and now I can't un-hear it :)
And of course well documented on the interwebs now that I'm looking: http://www.led-zeppelin.org/studio-and-live-gear/860

--- End quote ---

It's on "Achilles", "Nobody's Fault" and "Royal Orleans", am I right? I used to be sure that he used a Hagström HB8 on "Presence" but did he already had the Triple Omega by late '75? Anyway, a great sound.
EDIT: He did, I should have opened your link...

How about "Ozone Baby"? I think it's an 8-string or then he really cranked up the Alembic's high frequencies

And Chris Squire had very creative way to use an 8-string with Yes and on his solo album. This track features his potatohead Ric 8-string and a non-reverse T-Bird IV plus some doubleneck Gibson EB at the end:

gearHed289:
Are you saying he had the triple omega for the recording? I thought it was the Hagstron, but could definitely be wrong. I love playing Hots On For Nowhere on 8 string. Not easy! In fact, there are tons of Zep riffs that work great on an 8. Black Dog is another.

Pekka:

--- Quote from: gearHed289 on December 20, 2017, 08:38:10 AM ---Are you saying he had the triple omega for the recording? I thought it was the Hagstron, but could definitely be wrong. I love playing Hots On For Nowhere on 8 string. Not easy! In fact, there are tons of Zep riffs that work great on an 8. Black Dog is another.

--- End quote ---

According to this it was:
http://www.led-zeppelin.org/studio-and-live-gear/860

But Jones also claimed he started to use roundwounds with all his basses in the late '60s but in the Guitar Player interview in 1977 he said he always used flats for his Jazz (and he did, just look and hear "The Song Remains The Same" flick) and even tried them on his Alembic but "they sort of killed it". So it's at least an 8-string on half of "Presence". :)

What's your verdict on "Ozone Baby", eight or four?  Couldn't find a youtube link that worked so you have to walk to your cd/vinyl shelf and put "Coda" on. :D

Pekka:

--- Quote from: gearHed289 on December 20, 2017, 08:38:10 AM --- I love playing Hots On For Nowhere on 8 string. Not easy! In fact, there are tons of Zep riffs that work great on an 8. Black Dog is another.

--- End quote ---

I love how "Presence" is mixed, at least for "Royal Orleans" and "Nobody's Fault". When you turn down the other channel you can almost hear Jones and Bonham exclusively (playing with Plant, of course).

And I agree with the riffs, lots of good stuff for an 8 or 12. With a dropped-D tuning "Kashmir" works great. Especially Kevin Gilbert's amazing version.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version