Author Topic: Hi-Flyer Project!  (Read 16624 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Hi-Flyer Project!
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2008, 03:24:15 PM »
AH!!!!

Wisdom is yours, Dr. Bassman!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008, 08:31:10 AM »
OK, the Aria is here...no new shots yet, but I'll get that done soon.

Report: The neck is in generally good condition, but the fretboard is loose from the neck on the top five frets. This isn't any big problem, as there is no damage and the fretboard can easily be glued back in place.  SUGGESTIONS as to what glue to use?  Super glue would be easy, but I'm tempted to get some hide glue from Stew-Mac in case I ever need to pull the fretboard. Sometimes permanent adhesives are the wrong thing to use.

The rosewood is good and the frets have enough wear to show some notches on the bottom couple of frets, but I don't think they're badly worn.  The nut is missing - no biggie.

Wood on the body is in good shape, no major gouges or dings, so it's definitely in shape to be refinished in natural or in a solid color.  I'm still temped to go natural to match the headstock.

Original color is questionable.  The neck pocket and pickup cavities have yellow paint in them, and it looks more like re-spray than original sunburst finish.  I'll look at it some more.

Pots and jack are present, two switches of unknown function are present (probably on/off for each pickup), and the pickguard has no cracks or damage, which is very nice.

Pix coming as soon as I can get 'em up.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 08:57:32 AM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2008, 02:27:06 PM »
Sounds great Al, looking forward to it.  Use simple Titebond glue, it's forgiving and can be steamed off in the future if ever needed.  If you don't have one, get a glue syringe and wedge the crack open enough to get glue all the way down to the end of the opening.  When you're running glue into the crack, mount the neck with the head straight down, gravity is a great helper!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Bass VI

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008, 02:57:03 PM »
 Plus one on the Doctors' suggestion of Titebond, plenty strong and reversable. Use the original (red label/cap) they make a Titebond II & III but the original formula is the best for this situation, and most other guitar/bass repairs.

I've also been using LMI instrument makers white glue for a few projects, very strong but it sets up very quickly. It also dries very hard, to the point of being a bit tricky when sanding a glue joint, the wood seems to "sand down faster than the seam itself. Maybe all wood glues do this but I've only noticed it with the LMI stuff.

Sorry to get off topic with an adhesive discussion, congrats on a really cool bass (it was on my watch list too) looking forward to seeing its' restoration.

S.
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to feel you deep in my heart
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to never feel the breaking apart
All my pictures of you

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2008, 05:03:41 PM »
Photos are in...the top one shows the fretboard separation - look for the penknife wedging it open.

Fretboard separation:

Fret wear and missing nut:

Body (note yellow paint in pickup cavities):

Body:

Back:

Pickguard:

CU of pickguard showing cool gold pearloid color:

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2008, 07:47:34 PM »
Cleveland Indians?? ??? thats a way cool project.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2008, 08:10:06 PM »
If the truss rod appears to be working when you have the fretboard clamped down, it shouldn't be a major operation.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2008, 07:20:28 AM »
Lots of potential there Al.  I only use th original Titebond for my guitar work, I agree that you don't need the II or II stuff.  Dave's right on regarding the truss rod too.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2008, 04:40:32 AM »
Cleveland Indians?? ??? thats a way cool project.

Chief WAHOO!

One of the oldest racist American sports symbols!

I've been to the Wigwam club!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 07:27:39 AM by Barklessdog »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2008, 07:26:23 AM »
Chief Wigwam!

One of the oldest racist American sports symbols!

I've been to the Wigwam club!

I don't know anything about the Wigwam club, but I'm pretty sure it's Chief Wahoo.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2008, 08:02:58 AM »
OK, let's not get off track and stray into political turf in Al's thread.  It's all about the bass!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2008, 10:29:09 AM »
Actually, I'm more of a Mariners fan.  And that's a LONELY place to be this year, currently 27 games back in their division.  By far the worst record in MLB.  (Sigh....)

My daughters said I ought to leave the Chief sticker on the bass when I refin'd it because it added some "atmosphere", but nope - he's going on a LONG sabbatic.  The sticker would clash with the bass - unless I was a hard-core relic fan, in which case I'd bolt the thing together, drop in pickups and a jack, and play it.  Fortunately that's not me.

I really haven't come to any decision about color for the body. Whatever I do will be compatible with the headstock, as I definitely don't want to refin it and destroy the original Aria Diamond decal.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 10:40:44 AM by Pilgrim »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2008, 11:30:28 AM »
Good move. I'm not a fan of stickers on basses anyway, but if you're refinishing, no need to save someone else's.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2008, 12:43:38 PM »
Yeah, I've never been a sticker fan on basses.  Hey, if you could bleach out the top so it isn't as discolored as it looks now, a trans red or orange would be really cool!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2008, 02:52:30 PM »
Trans red......Orange.....hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Would look nice with the pickguard......could tint clear lacquer and spray......