Author Topic: Hi-Flyer Project!  (Read 16700 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Hi-Flyer Project!
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2008, 01:38:21 PM »
I'll be darned. I just checked the link in the EB0 Junior thread and the gent who sold the Eastwood P-90 pickups in that auction has some new ones up:

Link fixed: http://cgi.ebay.com/Eastwood-P-90-Bass-Pickup-Mosrite-NEW-IN-BOX!!!_W0QQitemZ260271355611QQcmdZViewItem?IMSfp=TL0808061443r37094

What do you think?????  The price is sure right.  Pickups in the $30 range would be pretty cool.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 04:18:53 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2008, 02:40:38 PM »
Your auction link isn't working. Try this.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2008, 03:04:27 PM »
 Looks like just the thing ! I'd snap 'em up !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2008, 05:17:14 PM »
Hey, Reranch makes Gretsch trans orange in rattle cans!  I've use it myself, good stuff!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2008, 09:41:03 PM »
I'm swapping email with the gent who sells those Eastwood pickups now....visually they seem like a match for the originals.  I'm trying to sort out whether they fit the routs...they may be about 1/4" wider.  But he will sell two for under $50, and that's REALLY tempting.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2008, 03:46:48 AM »
Hey, what's a 1/4"?  Nothing a router couldn't manage.  I think they look perfect for it.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2008, 09:45:07 PM »
I sent a message and hopefully I'll be able to buy them.  Can't pass up the deal.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2008, 04:32:42 AM »
I sent a message and hopefully I'll be able to buy them.  Can't pass up the deal.

Didn't I see them online at eBay for $29.95 or something?  Or was I looking at something different?

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2008, 04:36:57 PM »
Yes, there are two on Ebay - same seller.  If he doesn't get back to me I'll just go after the ones he has at auction.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2008, 05:01:38 PM »
I must be holding my mouth right. Instead of paying the seller $40 for a pair of those pickups, I won both auctions - for a total of slightly less than $40.

The auction says they're Seymour-Duncan pickups, and after searching the S-D site I think I found them under Pickups > Custom Shop > Specialized > Duncan-Mosrite for Bass. However, the ones on the S-D site have philips screw head slots on the pickup poles, and it doesn't appear that the ones in the auction do.

S-D page:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/custom-shop/specialized-1/duncanmosrite_f_1/

Auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=380052768013&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=025

If the retail is indeed $160 per pickup as the S-D web page says, I did very well.  Now I'm going to have to get the rest of the pieces and get to work on this bass!!

And Dr. Bassman, can you confirm a link to the ReRanch Gretsch orange in rattle cans? I think this might be it:

http://reranchstore.stores.yahoo.net/reranchorange.html
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 05:08:32 PM by Pilgrim »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2008, 07:37:10 PM »
These are not SD Custom Shop pickups. The auction header says it's an Eastwood pickup and the seller is either connected to Eastwood Guitars or actually is Eastwood. AFAIK their products are Korean imports. NTTAWWT.

SD does have his Korean-made "Duncan Design" line made for OEM imports, these could be made by the same company.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2008, 07:49:58 PM »
Great deal on the pups even if they are Korean. yes, that's the trans orange I've used before.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2008, 08:38:27 AM »
Thanks guys, that makes sense.  Interesting combination of terms in those auctions - both Eastwood and Seymour-Duncan are mentioned, so who knows??

I haven't heard much about the new Eastwood guitars yet, so I don't know quite what to expect from the pickups.  I do know the Eastwoods aren't cheap, so perhaps it's reasonable to assume the pickups aren't bad either. As long as they fit and give me decent sound, I'll be happy. The price is so right that it would seem foolish not to try them..but I darn sure don't want to do much modification to the bass in the process.  Adding 1/4" of room seems manageable without creating a problematic mod.  I can't say that I'm especially choosy about pickups anyway.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2008, 01:31:15 PM »
Here's an Eastwood thread from March that might interest you: http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=285.0

I see no reason for you to be concerned about the pickups. You'll either like the tone or you won't, and if you don't, then it's not like you've invested a lot. Eastwood seems to be better regarded today than Aria and Univox were back in the 60s and 70s.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2008, 01:51:59 PM »
You're right, the Japanese brands weren't highly regarded back in the 60's and 70's.

Thanks for the thread link - the EEB he played in one linked post sounded pretty darn good to me. 

Now I have to decide between Gold Top and ReRanch Orange........