Author Topic: 3 Pt bridge for '69 EB-O  (Read 1072 times)

copacetic

• View Profile
3 Pt bridge for '69 EB-O
« on: March 03, 2010, 10:59:36 AM »
I have a mint '69 EB-O that I obvioulsly have not put much playing time into since '69 and I considered selling it but my interest was revived since I've been putting my Supreme to use. However I am thinking of changing the bridge to a 3 point and wondering if this will just drop in? Also thinking of replacing the mudbucker with a TB+. How much routing is involved there? Anybody done any of this before or any suggestions?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: 3 Pt bridge for '69 EB-O
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 11:05:48 AM »
You will need three new studholes in a different spacing, the two point is wider than the three point (or the other way around, in any case the gloves don't fit and you'll acquit ...).

The only non-route alternative is the Hipshot Supertone.

About time you resurrected that poor thing!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 11:25:55 AM »
If you don't like the sound of the mudbucker and you don't like the bridge, better to first try a solution that doesn't involve routing, plugging and redrilling holes. Model One and Hipshot Supertone. If that doesn't work for you, sell it and buy another SG Bass.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 04:26:20 PM »
What he said.

Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 10:45:33 AM »
The Hipshot Supertone looks easy enough to get but probably should have went for that MODEL ONE last week on ebay that went for $79.  What exactly are the sound characteristics of the Model One?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 01:37:03 PM »
It's well-balanced. :)  Or boring.  :bored: Depends on the side of the fence you're on.  ???
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 02:42:05 PM »
The Hipshot Supertone looks easy enough to get but probably should have went for that MODEL ONE last week on ebay that went for $79.  What exactly are the sound characteristics of the Model One?

$79 is the regular street price at MF and similar places.

It is well balanced and has a normal output, as opposed to the super high output overdriven mudbucker sound. If the mudbucker sound doesn't work for you, the Model One may.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 03:08:48 PM »
I am on the "like 'em" side of the fence.  Initially DiMarzio marketed these as a way to get your Gibson to behave more like a Fender, as NOBODY wanted to have the mudbucker.  But it doesn't really sound like a P-bass at all, unless you have it shoved in a Billy Sheehan bass, I suppose.  To my ears the Model one does preserve the inherent general tone of the Gibson bass but in a more mild mannered way.  If you were to use some preamp/eq/effects set up you could supe up the Model One signal to mimic a Gibson mudbucker.  And I like that it offers you wiring alternatives - series /parrallel, single coil - from the factory.  All of this without having to mess up your vintage bass by routing or screwing stuff in where it doesn't belong.  So, to many it is ball-less.  For me it is a non-butchering way of messing around with your tone, that is reversible whenever you want.

Model One and Schallers?  Ish.