Author Topic: Unusual problem  (Read 1219 times)

pamlicojack

• View Profile
Unusual problem
« on: February 15, 2010, 09:06:11 PM »
At my last practice I was playing the Englehardt upright when I noticed something a bit...odd.  Everytime I hit a G-note, it sounded dead and half-volume.  All the G's in every position on the neck had this problem.  Every other note sounded loud, proud, and perfect.

Anyone ever had this happen before?  I changed the batteries in the preamp which seemed to help, but not much.

hollowbody

• Been working in the Kremlin with a two headed dog.
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual problem
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 10:48:24 PM »
It sounds like you have a wolf.  Wolf notes are common in the G-B range.  Have you changed strings lately?  It could also be that your soundpost moved.  Are you able to keep a constant humidity or is it changing a lot?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 11:00:02 PM by hollowbody »

Basshappi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 12:53:18 PM »
Yep, wolf note.
Nothing is what it seems but everthing is exactly what it is.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 12:04:11 PM »
I have one at e flat---sixth position on the a string on my Pace---it drives me nuts, and it's right in the middle of the playing field.

pamlicojack

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 06:10:07 PM »
It sounds like you have a wolf.  Wolf notes are common in the G-B range.  Have you changed strings lately?  It could also be that your soundpost moved.  Are you able to keep a constant humidity or is it changing a lot?

Strings are Weedwackers, don't know how much they're affected by humidity.

Soundpost may have moved, I'll have to check.

It stays in the practice site which is climate controlled (unless I take it to a gig).

I looked up wolf note since I was unfamiliar with the term and it doesn't really sound like that's the problem.  It just sounds like I've turned down the volume on all G notes.  There's no change in pitch.   ???

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 08:01:38 AM »
In it's worst apearance it's a wolf note...In better situations its what we call a dead spot on an electric.  Sorta the place where the resonant frequency of the bass and the note are the same.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 03:46:52 PM »
I'm looking forward to hearing what is making this happen. I've been stuck with the reverse of this situation, where you will get a frequency specific rattle or vibration in an amp. That can be a pain  too, but I've never had an acoustic instrument that had a dead note, that was dead at every position.
Sorry I have no input for you, but I'm dying to hear the answer to this one.
Rick