Author Topic: Chris Squire interview now with the video  (Read 8366 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Chris Squire interview now with the video
« on: January 21, 2010, 06:25:28 AM »
This morning I watched an '80s interview with Chris Squire on some show called "Star Licks". He struck me as a pretty nice guy. He brought his ole white Rick to the show and demonstrated some of his pick style, which was interesting because he held the pick very close to the tip so that his thumb would follow the pick hitting the string which had the great affect of throwing in a nice little harmonic.

Buuuuutttt.....I'm sure you all know that already!

Video added...

« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 05:20:03 PM by Denis »
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Chris Squire interview
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 06:39:57 AM »
Thats pretty cool about his pick technique, I do the same thing never knew Chris did it.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 06:43:43 AM »
Me too. I thought it was a bad habit I really should get out of.

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 06:46:56 AM »
It was pretty cool! Tonight when I get home I'll post that YouTube vid (it's blocked here at work) because it's definitely worth the watching even if the interviewer seemed to radiate a kind of "groupie" persona.

In college one of the English professors told us, "You have to know the rules in order to break them" so I guess it's not a bad technique if you know it's wrong but do it on purpose!
Clocks.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 09:24:48 AM »
I had read an interview maybe 8-10 years ago where he mentioned this. It didn't really strike me as unusual.

Whatever works, works. Just because some self-appointed authority doesn't think it ought to be done that way, that doesn't make it wrong.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 09:26:46 AM »
As a pick player they is a lot of bias out there, A pick can do things fingers can't and vice versa. I have gotten pretty good with my fingers but I'm a pick player through and through
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 04:07:34 PM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 09:31:59 AM »
I think for me, its driven by whatever music I'm playing...if the music is repetitive eighth note rock, I reach for a pick...if the music is a little more "traditional" (90% of the time for me) I use my fingers

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 10:13:29 AM »
I do the same thing but was never really aware of it 'till I watched the CS instructional video that came with my 4001CS-LH.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 11:09:43 AM »
Look forward to seeing the interview.  I never knew that, and I've never really seen him interviewed outside of the tiny bit on Rising Low - that documentary about the Allen Woody tribute album/tour.

He has such a unique sound, and goes to show that its mostly in the player not the gear.

In fact, I remember that he used a NR Tbird for a brief time:

IIRC, Tormato album credits show that he used it on Release, Release - and despite the difference in bass it still sounds 100% him:

http://uk.video.yahoo.com/watch/4379617/11749970

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 12:39:20 PM »
That's a cool pic!
Clocks.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 01:16:21 PM »
I saw him a few years back with Yes. He used a different bass for each song and always sounded the same. I also notice he plays with his hand anchored on the bridge picking right in front of it.

Also 60 year old men should not be wearing white spandex pants (Squire), Kilts (Alan White) wrinkly withered old man legs, or capes (Wakemen).

Still they were amazing musically. Great show.

Hornisse

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 01:36:25 PM »
That is probably the NR he sold several years ago.  I recall seeing it advertised in either Guitar Player or maybe early Bass Player magazine.  Asking price was $2500 which is a steal today, but this was back in the 1980's IIRC.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 01:37:22 PM »
Also 60 year old men should not be wearing ... capes (Wakemen).

"That's my cape!  Take it off.  You always wear my clothes and you get stains all over them..."

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 01:50:29 PM »
I saw him a few years back with Yes. He used a different bass for each song and always sounded the same. I also notice he plays with his hand anchored on the bridge picking right in front of it.
Also 60 year old men should not be wearing white spandex pants (Squire), Kilts (Alan White) wrinkly withered old man legs, or capes (Wakemen).
Still they were amazing musically. Great show.

I saw them only once, in 1983 at Greensboro Coliseum. They got away with the crazy '80s look because they were all still in pretty good health and fairly young. I briefly met Alan White after that show too, and he signed my tour book. That show though, was incredible.
Clocks.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 04:06:24 PM »
Look forward to seeing the interview.  I never knew that, and I've never really seen him interviewed outside of the tiny bit on Rising Low - that documentary about the Allen Woody tribute album/tour.

He has such a unique sound, and goes to show that its mostly in the player not the gear.

In fact, I remember that he used a NR Tbird for a brief time:

IIRC, Tormato album credits show that he used it on Release, Release - and despite the difference in bass it still sounds 100% him:

http://uk.video.yahoo.com/watch/4379617/11749970

A bud of mine has been braggin' online about his badass Sixx Blackbird & now I REALLY wanna get one & flip it lefty.
No knobs to worry about. :)

I look forward to the youtube link tooo

I've only seen YES once but it was a FANTASTIC 3 hour show & I was Front Row Center.
Stood right between Chris & Rick Wakeman on keyboards.

Their Symphonic Yes dvd is Spectacular!!!!