Author Topic: Random tone comparison TB+ versus P/J  (Read 1249 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Random tone comparison TB+ versus P/J
« on: April 08, 2021, 07:41:53 AM »
Sorry for the click bait, but there are no sound clips. Just wanted to comment on something from rehearsal Monday night. I'm doing a couple of shows with a local band called LAVA Rock (LAVA stands for Led Zep, Aerosmith, Van Halen, AC/DC). I'm using my Fenderbird with chrome, guitar-sized Gibson TB+ pups. Later in the night, for some of the 1/2 step down songs, I put on my Hamer Blitz with DiMarzio P/J pups. The Hamer is a loud bass, but it did NOT cut through the mix like the 'bird. And it's just competing with one guitar, drums and vocals. I was surprised. Anyone else have similar experiences?

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Random tone comparison TB+ versus P/J
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 08:38:25 AM »
Never been in that situation so take this for what it's worth (very little)....

The first thing I would ask is whether you have different strings on the basses, and how old they are.  That can make a big difference.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 10:13:12 AM »
The Money bass I used in a metal band with the same guitar sized TB+ wasn't more articulate than my P bass but it was definitely louder because of the hotter pickups. The Money bass also benefited from having the extra bridge pickup so not a fair comparison to your PJ versus my Precision. The Peavey Millenium I had could dial in enough hi mids to make your ears bleed so the band leader had me stick with the money for the fact that it was more subdued and sat in the mix better than the Peavey. Your circumstance surprises me because I generally view those guitar size TB+ as hot and fuzzy compared to a set of Fender type pickups with the tone dimed a la Live at Leeds era John Entwistle.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 01:22:25 PM »
Both fretless... my J is quieter than my RD Artist standard single neck pup running without the Moog by a significant margin...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 02:38:23 PM »
I can also comment that I have a '63 Precision, and its pickups' output is definitely lower than any other bass I have.  They're still fine, but there is a difference.  Might be the pickups.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 06:48:07 AM »
I had tried my Geddy J bass, but it is SO much quieter than my other basses, I thought I'd give the Hamer a go. It's fine, just not as cutting as the 'bird. I only need it for like 3 songs. It's just funny how different an instrument can sound in a band context versus practicing at home. I usually solo the P pup and turn the volume down about a notch and a half, and I get a great P bass tone.

Pilgrim, yeah, you're right. The strings on the Hamer are definitely more worn than the bird. I think I need to put in an order...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 07:26:51 AM »
AN ENDORSEMENT

The TB+ - for those of us here who care about sound, not looks or casing materials that echo how cars looked in the 50ies - is an excellent, versatile, yet idiosyncratic pup, period. It always makes itself heard, yet doesn't step on the sonic toes of others.

I'd never describe a TB+ as "cutting through" though (other, lesser pups might {have to} do that), it has its own realm where it reigns supreme. It doesn't need to "cut through" in a "get out of the way!" manner, it's musical and self-assured. No need to be nasty to get noticed.

For me, the TB+ is an inexplicably underrated pup and has been for the last 30 years or so. Gibson never marketed it as a replacement pup and neither the soap bar nor the guitar humbucker versions really lend themselves visual-design-stylistically to upgrade non-Gibson basses, but sonically that pup is a Geheimwaffe. I've put it on countless basses where it wasn't before, it never disappointed, but elevated each and every instrument. Dark forces who shall not me named here lulled me into fancy-pants luthier replacement pups for my Explorer Reissue which came with the immaculate TB+ - I did so and have regretted it ever since. We learn from that: Replacing TB+ pups is a nasty habit.

An - even here - unsung hero, nuff said. Sure, it beats a P/J combo, no surprises there. Compared to the subtle and even power of a TB+, a P/J combo sounds juvenile - forever finger-snapping for attention.

My name is James Curleigh, CEO of GIBSON BRANDS, Inc., and I approve this message.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 04:27:33 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2021, 07:43:50 AM »
It doesn't need to "cut through" in a "get out of the way!" manner, it's musical and self-assured. No need to be nasty to get noticed.

I have to agree with this. Somehow it does make itself heard, but not like a modern GLee J Bass sound where every note is IN YOUR FACE.