Author Topic: My Fenderbird  (Read 1402 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
My Fenderbird
« on: April 15, 2020, 09:11:06 AM »
In case anyone is interested in what my Fenderbird sounds like, I shot this a couple of days ago. Long story short - John F (formerly redbird, drawing a blank on current user name) gave me the already painted body, and I went from there with a Mighty Mite Jazz neck, TB+ pups, Schaller bridge, and Hipshot Ultra Lights. Here I'm running through a Sadowsky preamp pedal with just a touch of bass and treble boost, through a Tech 21 VT Bass DI into Pro Tools with a slight touch of compression and through my 5.5'' Yamaha monitors, recorded onto my cell phone.

Link may not work without a Facebook account and video may be partially muted in some countries...

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
Re: My Fenderbird
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 04:49:40 PM »
Damn that sounds great! I can tell you really put in some time learning the nuances of this song. You play it well and that bass sounds really good.

What a great song. I've always loved this track. I learned it from my bass teacher way back when I was maybe 16ish (1986 or so), but I don't think our transcription was as close as yours; there's a lot of moves in here I never noticed and I'm sure I never learned the solo at the end.

Now I want to play it with my band! I don't think we could pull it off though. No keyboards and we've never attempted anything this prog!
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 10:06:53 PM »
 :toast: That's great! Somehow I missed it on FB.

John F is now Barklessdog.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 09:13:39 AM »
Damn that sounds great! I can tell you really put in some time learning the nuances of this song. You play it well and that bass sounds really good.

What a great song. I've always loved this track. I learned it from my bass teacher way back when I was maybe 16ish (1986 or so), but I don't think our transcription was as close as yours; there's a lot of moves in here I never noticed and I'm sure I never learned the solo at the end.

Now I want to play it with my band! I don't think we could pull it off though. No keyboards and we've never attempted anything this prog!

Thanks man. It's funny how refined your ear becomes over the years. I learned it at 16 as well (by ear), but as you would expect, many of the little nuances weren't there. Going back to it now, it was kind of daunting at first, but it pretty quickly started to make sense. A lot of little chromatic runs and whatnot. I don't normally get hung up on learning things note for note these days, especially solos, but I took this as a challenge to get as close to the original as possible. I wanted to see how drummers feel when they have to play Neil Peart.  ;D ;D

Yesterday I posted Yours Is No Disgrace with my 4001CS.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 07:12:59 AM »
Might as well post another. Scott gave it the thumbs up on Facebook, so it must be OK.  ;D

https://www.facebook.com/tomheslin1/videos/vb.1188420788/10218887790044287/?type=3

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 05:47:58 AM »
Might as well post another. Scott gave it the thumbs up on Facebook, so it must be OK.  ;D

https://www.facebook.com/tomheslin1/videos/vb.1188420788/10218887790044287/?type=3

8)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 04:11:03 PM »
Dude... you sound great (playing AND tone)!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2020, 08:05:54 AM »
Thanks George! The old Frankenbird turned out to be a real keeper.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2020, 03:10:51 PM »
Nice! That's always a fun one and you ripped it up.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2020, 04:02:17 PM »
Great bass, great shirt, great JAE beard and best of all: great playing bro!!!