Author Topic: NBD - I did WHAT?  (Read 1091 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
NBD - I did WHAT?
« on: October 21, 2019, 08:10:37 AM »
I bought... A Peavey! And it's a 6 string! Never thought I'd be saying that, but I've had it for a few weeks now, and it's a fine machine. I recently got involved in putting together a Peter Gabriel tribute band. It was initially to be a one-off for a special Genesis fan gathering in Chicago in September, but we've already got three more shows booked. Anyway, I needed to break out my old Guild Pilot 5 string to cover some of the material, including Stick tunes. Got a fresh new set of frets installed to perfection and a general tune-up by Fat Cat Guitars in Elgin, IL. I haven't played a 5er regularly in about 20 years. (Yes, 1999 was 20 years ago  :o )

SO, since it's become a semi-regular thing, I realized I need a backup. I'm screwed without that low B on a lot of tunes. I'd been toying with the idea of a 6 string for a while, and figured now was a good time to experiment. I didn't want to spend a ton of money, so I was looking at the Ibanez stuff. Some good options, made in Indonesia. Then I started noticing some good prices on 90s Carvin basses. I was close to pulling the trigger, but further research turned up a lot of complaints of broken truss rods on those instruments, so I passed. But in the process, I came across these Peavey Tim Landers TL-Six basses. I guess they were the predecessor to the current Cirrus line. USA made, neck through, 5-piece maple and purpleheart neck, ebony 'board, and solid maple body wings with 2 more strips of purpleheart flanking the neck. A previous owner swapped out the stock pups and guts for Bartolini. I don't have a lot of experience with Barts, so I'm kind of neutral toward them, but as I'm dialing things in, I'm finding some very good tones.

It's not a real looker - black stain on maple = turd brown - but it's OK. $515 shipped.  ;D

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: NBD - I did WHAT?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 02:28:28 PM »
i like the double P! And I like Genesis. Have fun!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 03:37:07 PM »
Oh c'mon Tom, last time I saw him Levin was playing a Stick... Man up...!  :mrgreen:

The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 04:04:40 PM »
I don't think you can go wrong at that price.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 06:55:56 AM »
Oh c'mon Tom, last time I saw him Levin was playing a Stick... Man up...!  :mrgreen:

I was looking! They're like 2 grand. Came really close to buying one in the 80s. The guitarist in my band doubled on Stick, so I got to spend some time with it. Maybe someday...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 12:36:48 PM »
... Maybe someday...
We can dream...  :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 06:06:49 PM »
I was looking! They're like 2 grand. Came really close to buying one in the 80s. The guitarist in my band doubled on Stick, so I got to spend some time with it. Maybe someday...

I have a friend who might sell his spare. Want me to ask him?

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2019, 06:56:42 AM »
I have a friend who might sell his spare. Want me to ask him?

It would have to be a screamin' deal, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask, thanks.