Author Topic: Budget P alike being sold in charity shops - daughter treat  (Read 1617 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Budget P alike being sold in charity shops - daughter treat
« on: April 25, 2011, 03:16:25 PM »
I was down in Devon this weekend and my buddy and I have a habit of trawling the chazzers (as my bud calls the charity shops) - anyway, I walked into one called Sue Ryder and there was this P copy being sold for £89.99 and reduced to £59.99 - I gave Roshina a call and told her it was pale blue (wot, sea-foam?), no pale blue... yep, she was interested, anyway... now, the setup was iffy but the neck was of interest to me - D profile, like my PC and the fretless neck I put on my Jazz (for which my daughter is still not fully forgiving me for)... oh yeah, they had broken the padlock key and sold her to me for £54.99 ($90.71)
Set her up and tried running through my MAG300 and the sound is pretty good - happy daughter...

The head is oddly shaped but she looks and plays well for the money, sound is pretty good, strings feel easily playable, finish is reasonable - an odd bit is the cut-through on the scratchplate, but as it is an "R" and my daughter's name is Roshina...

Made in China - not stripped to check construction - neck is similar to maple with a rosewood board; skunk-stripe on the back...

Other than that, not much else known - the shop's website does not appear to show the instruments... also saw Strat copies but a quick search found reference to an LP guitar...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: Budget P alike being sold in charity shops - daughter treat
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 04:55:59 PM »
Nice score, Kenny!  Headstock is sort of like a Reverend.  9 screw scratchplate is something I haven't seen.  I'd add another screw or 2 to keep the jack from tearing out and breaking it.  It's possibly from the same factory as SX, tuners look to be exactly the ones they are using now.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 05:13:20 AM »
 Lucky daughter! Nice find. My daughter is bugging me for a fretless.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 05:21:29 AM »
People like you sir are making us low-budgeteers proud! Nice buy! :D
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 06:52:17 AM »
Great! And I love the colour!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 03:10:10 PM »
Cheers for the tip, Carlo...

Forgot to add, came with a strap, a lead and the two required Allen wrenches... (edit - forgot the gig bag too)

I think she's pleased with this beastie...

Scott... the fact that I went fretless with my Jazz is why she was displeased with me, and as Charlotte plays upright, it's only a natural progression... ;)

Exiled... We're not far behind you...  :o ;D
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 11:55:54 AM by Kenny's 51st State »
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 10:18:04 AM »
You're lucky to get that Ken, most shops are out of stock.

It has pedigree

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/4628843.Guitarist_helps_shops_hit_right_note/

They will in time become highly rare and collectable.  ;)  Meanwhile, a hugely popular modding platform for the connoisseur....

http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=120281  (43 page thread, but lots of pics).

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 04:37:55 PM »
 :o ;D