Gear Discussion Forums > Bill's Shop: Projects, Mods & Repairs

A silly idea?

<< < (9/9)

Pekka:
Looks really great and I'm sure it sounds great too. Have you checked how the pickup locations measure with a 60's T-Bird locations?

Alanko:

--- Quote from: Pekka on July 17, 2017, 04:05:52 PM ---Looks really great and I'm sure it sounds great too. Have you checked how the pickup locations measure with a 60's T-Bird locations?

--- End quote ---

I'm not sure where to start with a thing like that! If you have the numbers I can do some checking.

I got a chrome ring for the bridge pickup, and had to grind 1mm or so from the inside of the ring to fit the pickup. A bit annoying, but it does look cleaner for it.

The bass is getting its first public outing on Sunday, so I might have some pics or something to show for it then. I will try and get some audio of it out. As I have it strung with flats you only get half of what I'm sure the bass can do; with rounds I imagine it would really snarl. Imagine a thicker, fatter Jazz bass without the dental-drill highs and you might be imagining the right thing.

godofthunder:
  I have always found Jazz basses to be anemic.  While I am not a big fan of TB plus pickups they are sure to give your Jazz a kick in the ass, I say go for it.

slinkp:

--- Quote from: godofthunder on July 27, 2017, 10:23:03 AM --- While I am not a big fan of TB plus pickups...

--- End quote ---

It's funny, I wasn't either at first. They didn't sound that special to me solo. They don't have the distinctive character that I hear in '60s bird samples, or recordings that I know were made with them. But I find it really easy to dial in a sound that works great for me in a band context. Direct or amped. I often need no EQ at all, though I like a little overdrive.  The three other basses I still own (Greco bird, Ibanez blazer with Alembic P/J set, Dano DC bass) require a lot of fussing and fighting, each in their own way.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version