Author Topic: CIJ Fender Jazz  (Read 1888 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
CIJ Fender Jazz
« on: December 02, 2019, 07:43:07 AM »
  So I found myself in need of a Jazz bass again. My son relieved me of my AVRI '62 so I picked up this '05 CIJ Jazz on Reverb for $400 bucks.  I put a Seymour Duncan Stack in it and am very pleased!  Tbirds are still my thing but this bass works great for my Zeppelin tribute! https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157837191478415&id=505898414
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 05:47:29 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: CIJ Fender Jazz
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 03:49:31 PM »
There are times when only a P or J will do!  8)
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Bubbalou88

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 12:42:41 AM »
There are times when only a P or J will do!  8)

A year ago I would have debated you on this as My Fender American Pro with series/parallel pickup switch I installed got a very reasonable P'ish sound in series mode. And the neck does not feel like a "baseball bat" as do most P's.

That is until one year ago I purchased a Fender Player Series Precision Bass, eventually put a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder "SPB-3" and Thomastic Infield Jazz Flats on it. This thing ROCK's with Deep, Bold P bass tone that is clear.  Oh, almost forgot the Neck on this P is about as wide as a normal P bass neck but from fret-board to back of neck is a little thinner and not quite as round. Much like the 2011 Fender American Special I had to sell (wife and bills) and I regretted it that day and unto Today but I have two good basses that I feel are as good in the P and a small amount better  in the J.  Both are great basses P and J in their own separate way J smooth mellow tone w/Jazz Flats and P big, bold and with Character saying "In my own way I am King of the Road  ;)
CEO of Retired

Bubbalou88

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 12:44:43 AM »
  So I found myself in need of a Jazz bass again. My son relieved me of my AVRI '62 so I picked up this '05 CIJ Jazz on Reverb for $400 bucks.  I put a Seymour Duncan Stack in it and am very pleased!  Tbirds are still my thing but this bass works great for my Zeppelin tribute! https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157837191478415&id=505898414

The CIJ's are good quality basses but I (out of curiosity) have to ask, Do you miss the AVRI "62. Those are great basses
CEO of Retired

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 04:11:03 AM »
  Oh the AVRI '62 is far more faithful to the original but for $400 bucks the CIJ gets it done quite nicely.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2019, 09:46:03 AM »
What does CIJ stand for?
I am familiar with MIA/MIM/MIJ but can't figure out what the C would be.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2019, 10:16:01 AM »
What does CIJ stand for?
I am familiar with MIA/MIM/MIJ but can't figure out what the C would be.

Crafted. Some Japanese Fenders came with that designation.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2019, 11:39:27 AM »
Crafted. Some Japanese Fenders came with that designation.

And the CIJ basses have a very good reputation for build and quality.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2020, 10:42:21 AM »
And the CIJ basses have a very good reputation for build and quality.

The CIJ Geddy Lee Jazz basses are VERY well built.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2020, 02:39:50 AM »
The CIJ Geddy Lee Jazz basses are VERY well built.

I used to own one of the first Japanese production Geddy J's, in 1993. That was the only 70s reissue you could get back then from fender, all others were dot-necks. I remember a flood of complaints about Geddy necks with maxxed out truss rods that keep bending, "green wood" etc, and Fender suggested owners to add Teflon washers behind the bullet... But the neck on my bass, although ridiculously thin, was still very stable. The fist Geddies were quality instruments, comparable to custom shop basses of the time. The bridge pickup was in the correct location nearer the bridge as in Geddy's, the guard was a nice mint green, my only qualm about the bass was that the black blocks were painted and not inlaid. I sold it just because the neck was way to thin for my liking.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2020, 09:35:09 AM »
Fender suggested owners to add Teflon washers behind the bullet... But the neck on my bass, although ridiculously thin, was still very stable. The fist Geddies were quality instruments, comparable to custom shop basses of the time. The bridge pickup was in the correct location nearer the bridge as in Geddy's, the guard was a nice mint green, my only qualm about the bass was that the black blocks were painted and not inlaid. I sold it just because the neck was way to thin for my liking.

Did the early ones have the bullet truss rod adjustment? Mine is like an '06 and it adjusts at the body end with a flat head screwdriver. It's got a very thin neck, but it's as stable as any of my other basses. I also always wondered about the "inlays". Were the black blocks ever actual inlays?

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2020, 03:21:30 PM »
Did the early ones have the bullet truss rod adjustment? Mine is like an '06 and it adjusts at the body end with a flat head screwdriver. It's got a very thin neck, but it's as stable as any of my other basses. I also always wondered about the "inlays". Were the black blocks ever actual inlays?

The early ones had the bullet truss rod nut.

AFAIK the early 70s Fender black blocks were actual inlays.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023