Author Topic: Is Henry listening to Gibson fans?  (Read 19140 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Is Henry listening to Gibson fans?
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2015, 02:22:59 PM »
You are an excruciatingly mean person, Dave.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2015, 02:26:55 PM »
I liked Boris Karloff almost as much.  Still, I think Vincent Price was my favorite horror actor.  As for Poe, I've heard that he isn't rated as high anymore.  That's no surprise.  I rarely agree with critics on much of anything anyway.

Edit:

As far as I know, Poe is still very much respected in countries such as France.  But I have heard his poetry isn't considered what it once was in the U.S.  I think this is because at some point people who don't know how to rhyme poems decided free verse should be the rage. 

« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 03:12:29 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2015, 02:46:26 PM »
Of the horror flic actors, Boris Karloff was my favorite for the melancholy in his subdued playing. "The Mummy" is grand in that way.

His depiction of the Frankenstein's monster (basically played as if the monster was a mentally challenged, but not evil human) is the only one that goes to the heart - to this day.

Uwe, I knew I liked you!

Yes, Karloff was the absolute best.  His Mummy is one of the few horror films from that era that still has the ability to scare kids.  His portrayal was wonderful.

And I have always regarded his Frankenstein monster as you describe him. No other actor has ever managed to actually make you feel pity and empathy for the monster. It is a masterful piece of work.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2015, 03:05:55 PM »
I saw The Mummy like when I was 9 years old, we had a series called "Das Gruselkabinett" which featured all these great American horror classics, Frankenstein, Freaks (which I found really unsettling!) and I could watch it because my parents were so agnostic, they could not fathom how anyone could be scared by something supernatural, not even their kid! I devoured it all. With The Mummy, I was fascinated by Karloff's demeanor and the intensity of his love surviving all these milleniums. I saw the film more as a love than a horror story, but a good one. Ever the romantic, even as a 9-year-old.  8)

Did anybody post Deep Purple's Vincent Price?  :mrgreen: Here's the official vid, they actually dug out an actor who looked a bit like a young Vincent Price and shared his before camera demeanor.  Contains pole dancing with nuns!

« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 06:39:18 AM by uwe »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2015, 03:11:52 PM »
I saw The Mummy like when I was 9 years old, we had a series called "Das Gruselkabinett" which featured all these great American horror classics, Frankenstein, Freaks (which I found really unsettling!) and I could watch it because my parents were so agnostic, they could not fathom how anyone could be scared by something supernatural, not even their kid! I devoured it all. With The Mummy, I was fascinated by Karloff's demeanor and the intensity of his love surviving all these milleniums. I saw the film more as a love than a horror story, but a good one. Ever the romantic, even as a 9-year-old.  8)

Did anybody post Deep Purple's Vincent Price?  :mrgreen: Here's the official vid, they actually dug out an actor who looked a bit like a young Vincent Price and shared his before camera demeanor.  Contains pole dancing with nuns!

I posted another video of Deep Purple's Vincent Price.  It may not play in Europe.  But I'm going to delete it now.  This one is better. 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 06:40:03 AM by uwe »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2015, 08:02:58 AM »
Forgot about that DP vid. Fun stuff, and a pole dancing nun! What's not to like?

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2015, 08:42:09 AM »
Never saw that video before - it's a hoot!

The scene my girls still remember from The Mummy is the trailing bandages going slowly out the door in the early scene right after the mummy re-animates.  You haven't seen it yet, but the bandages moving slowly through the doorway was a masterful tease.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2015, 03:36:56 PM »
Nothing is going to beat that Deep Purple video.  But here is ZZ Top doing "Vincent Price Blues" anyway.

--Blaise Pascal

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2015, 04:41:21 PM »

:-\  Wish I had the body to wear the pole dancing nun outfit.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2015, 06:12:56 PM »
I know we hardly ever discuss Deep Purple here, but back to Henry for a minute.

Yesterday Gawker published a negative article about Gibson. Mostly a hatchet job, IMHO -- typical of Gawker, no attempt to present a balanced story.  But this tale stood out:

One woman who had traveled from the UK in order to interview for a job at Gibson earlier this year sent us a brief excerpt about the Gibson hiring process, complete with a cameo by the CEO himself:

I just got a glimpse [of] what felt like the world’s most baffling hiring process. ‘The psychometric test takes approximately three hours to complete. If you have any questions in this process or problems with the testing, please let me know,’ said the email when it plopped into my inbox yesterday. I promptly responded: ‘I don’t really have three hours spare to take tests before tomorrow. Also, please can I have a job description because you haven’t actually sent me anything about the role, and I’d really rather know exactly what you expect before I succumb to being tested for THREE WHOLE HOURS.’ Or something to that effect. It wasn’t quite as stroppy. But seriously, I had other admin to attend to, like answering my Tinder messages.

Anyway, what happened was, HR invited me to meet with three different people in the company in one day (all of whom would explain more), and in the time between these meetings she suggested I take these tests at their headquarters. I hadn’t really planned to spend the majority of a day in a corporate cellblock ...

I’ll admit, I forgot about the test when the CEO stepped into the gigantic conference room, if only because he was even more baffling. It was all I could do to sustain eye contact. The silver-haired, seventy-ish-year-old man looked as though he was having some sort of epileptic fit in front of me as he blathered on and on and on about his history in and before he started with the company. His eyes were rolling around the room, landing everywhere but on me. I wasn’t entirely sure he was sober.

‘So, do you have a social media strategy already?’ I asked him.

‘Oh yes,’ he said, sitting back and smiling knowingly.

‘I’d like to know what it is.’

‘I bet you would,’ he smirked.

‘Well, it would help,’ I replied, trying to meet his eyes, and failing.

‘I’m sure it would,’ he answered.

‘Well... what do you want to be, as a brand, that you think you’re not already?’

‘Even more awesome. We’re already awesome. We just want to be more awesome.’

‘Right.’

As he spoke, the words I read on Glassdoor.com rushed back to me: ‘Run, don’t walk away from even considering working here. The CEO is HORRIBLE - mean, nasty, uber-controlling. If anyone in the company dares to have a different idea than his, you can pretty much guarantee that they will be fired - on the spot.’

So Henry's rolling eyeballs in that video weren't just nervousness.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2015, 09:13:32 PM »
That was interesting and maybe even accurate.  But there is no way to know with Gawker.  Gawker has a habit of targeting certain people & just never knowing when to stop.  I'm pretty sure I know why they're targeting Gibson, although I can't be sure.  Every time there is an article on Gibson, however, many of the comments are much the same.  People informing the world they need to be playing Teles & Strats, etc.  Nevertheless, I'm not questioning that account of the hiring practices.  That does have a ring of authenticity to it.  I'm just saying that when I read Gawker I do so cautiously.  This especially applies to anything they say about politics or religion.  There is not even an iota of objectivity present.  Furthermore, especially when those topics are brought up, at least half the comments at the bottom come from people who appear to be totally deranged.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2015, 02:27:29 AM »
"I know we hardly ever discuss Deep Purple here ..."

:rimshot:

I can imagine a job interview with Henry J to be slightly unsettling - he is weird though that doesn't automatically make him a nasty person or Gibson a crap place to work. As for the hiring process, the woman seems a little stuck up to me. She should have welcomed the fact that Gibson was taking the time and that she had the chance to interview with several people there. And Henry J isn't the first ill-preoared CEO to stumble into an interview with a job applicant, that seems more de rigeur to me. In any case, if she wasn't willing to spend a day at Gibson - and I assume that she wasn't applying to be the janitor -, then maybe she would have been the wrong choice for the company anyway.

When a young attorney applies with us, we generally seen him/her on two or three separate days, everytime for a couple of hours and he/she speaks to various people (we don't do any testing, people applying with us have had tests galore in their life) and get shown around.  Unless there are specific reasons (we can hire on the spot too if the circumstances demand it), we expect any candidate to be prepared to devote that much time (and candidates expect it from us vice versa).

And the way she dissects Gibson and Henry J publicly in the aftermath is highly unprofessional. Silly girl.

As for Henry J's unruly eyes, there might be a medical condition there, which would not be his fault: nystagmus. I assume that if anything could be done about it, his PR advisors would have trained it away some time ago already.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2015, 04:16:26 AM »
That's what "kids" do these days, post every damn thing that happens regardless of possible consequences.

But she has some points. The day before an interview is not the time to spring a three-hour test.  We do coding tests for engineer candidates, but as a screening step before we schedule interviews, we give them plenty of time to make time to do the tests, and we have alternative options for people who can't or won't do the test.  What's described in this - they hadn't even provided a job description! - is a sign of a chaotic environment and a company that will think nothing of making unreasonable demands once you have the job. 

Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Blackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2015, 06:23:54 AM »
"I know we hardly ever discuss Deep Purple here ..."

:rimshot:

I can imagine a job interview with Henry J to be slightly unsettling - he is weird though that doesn't automatically make him a nasty person or Gibson a crap place to work. As for the hiring process, the woman seems a little stuck up to me. She should have welcomed the fact that Gibson was taking the time and that she had the chance to interview with several people there. And Henry J isn't the first ill-preoared CEO to stumble into an interview with a job applicant, that seems more de rigeur to me. In any case, if she wasn't willing to spend a day at Gibson - and I assume that she wasn't applying to be the janitor -, then maybe she would have been the wrong choice for the company anyway.

When a young attorney applies with us, we generally seen him/her on two or three separate days, everytime for a couple of hours and he/she speaks to various people (we don't do any testing, people applying with us have had tests galore in their life) and get shown around.  Unless there are specific reasons (we can hire on the spot too if the circumstances demand it), we expect any candidate to be prepared to devote that much time (and candidates expect it from us vice versa).

And the way she dissects Gibson and Henry J publicly in the aftermath is highly unprofessional. Silly girl.

As for Henry J's unruly eyes, there might be a medical condition there, which would not be his fault: nystagmus. I assume that if anything could be done about it, his PR advisors would have trained it away some time ago already.

I worked with somebody who had nystagmus.  The person can appear like they are acting, for lack of a better word, "shifty".  Eye contact is difficult...heck, when I would make eye contact..I wondered if he thought I was staring at his condition.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2015, 06:33:37 AM »
That's what "kids" do these days, post every damn thing that happens regardless of possible consequences.

But she has some points. The day before an interview is not the time to spring a three-hour test.  We do coding tests for engineer candidates, but as a screening step before we schedule interviews, we give them plenty of time to make time to do the tests, and we have alternative options for people who can't or won't do the test.  What's described in this - they hadn't even provided a job description! - is a sign of a chaotic environment and a company that will think nothing of making unreasonable demands once you have the job.

I'm afraid this problem of unreasonable demands being made on employees is all too common in society now.  You have something like the Black Death in which much of the population is wiped out, then suddenly workers are treated more fairly for reasons which are obvious. 

--Blaise Pascal