Author Topic: Paul Kantner RIP  (Read 2753 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: Paul Kantner RIP
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2016, 09:24:39 AM »
I saw that. What are the odds?

John Entwistle and Chris Squire both died on June 27.  :sad:

RIP Paul Kantner. Saw Jefferson Starship once in late '79, and they were really great. No Marty or Grace at that time. The "Jane" tour.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2016, 12:46:14 PM »
The Airplane really had a unique sound all their own. I know plenty of people seem to hate them. Maybe because they had a very dense, unruly sound - lots going on, plenty of competition for space, pretty chaotic, at least in the live recordings, and for some peoples' taste that just sounds like a mess - or maybe they just don't like Grace Slick, whose voice can be polarizing - but I always thought the surface chaos belied real serious musicians who really listened to each other (Slick included), in their own idiosyncratic way. The Monterey Pop clips were a great intro.  I wish there were more bands who forge their own path as much as the Airplane did.

There was a good biopic about them that I saw some years ago.  Maybe this one?  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0427256/
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2016, 12:50:25 PM »
The Airplane really had a unique sound all their own. I know plenty of people seem to hate them. Maybe because they had a very dense, unruly sound - lots going on, plenty of competition for space, pretty chaotic, at least in the live recordings, and for some peoples' taste that just sounds like a mess - or maybe they just don't like Grace Slick, whose voice can be polarizing - but I always thought the surface chaos belied real serious musicians who really listened to each other (Slick included), in their own idiosyncratic way. The Monterey Pop clips were a great intro.  I wish there were more bands who forge their own path as much as the Airplane did.

There was a good biopic about them that I saw some years ago.  Maybe this one?  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0427256/

I never understood the dislike for them, either.  Even Hendrix didn't like them, although of course he did like Jack Casady. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2016, 01:54:07 PM »
I saw them once, worst show I ever saw. We were there for the opening act and made the mistake of staying. I didn't hate them, though I probably had nightmares about having to listen to grace Slick.

Like any band, they had their admirers and detractors.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2016, 02:10:47 PM »
I liked "Surrealistic Pillow" but not "After Bathing at Baxter's" so much.  That ends my vinyl collection of Jefferson Airplane.  But one of my friends loves the next album "Crown of Creation."  He is the kind of person who is a fanatic about woodshedding, something he is probably doing right now.  It shows when he plays bass, too. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2016, 02:51:35 PM »

I've had that DVD for awhile, watched it again over the weekend.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2016, 03:40:03 PM »
About the same as Thomas Jefferson and John Adams both dying on July 4, 1826. 

However, I hardly even know what to say anymore about all these rock stars dying so close together.  The words fail me now.
:mrgreen: