Gear Discussion Forums > Bill's Shop: Projects, Mods & Repairs

The Phoenix... the restoration of a rare custom-made "Thunderbird"

<< < (2/56) > >>

Lightyear:
Damn, what an improvement! ;D  I wonder what the original finish was?  Thinking that was early to mid 70's and that it was not a production build you would think laquer or some type of spray varnish.  Regradless it looking great!

I'm not sure what's in aircraft stripper but it failry easy to find over here  - I've seen it the big box home improvement places.

chromium:

--- Quote from: Lightyear on August 27, 2009, 07:51:24 PM ---I'm not sure what's in aircraft stripper but it failry easy to find over here  - I've seen it the big box home improvement places.

--- End quote ---

I went and looked at the container, and it says it contains Methylene Chloride (Dichloromethane), ethyl alcohol, and methanol - all the things a growing boy needs!  Like Lightyear says, you can just walk in anywhere here and buy it.  You might not be able to get it across the pond...  seem to remember talk of that at the Reranch forum.  If you want me to package some in preserves/jelly jars and send you a care parcel from "your loving granny in the 'States" just let me know.  (kidding, of course.. we don't want to end up in the Phil Spector thread  ;D)

I started out by slathering it on, wrapping the result in plastic garbage bags (a tip by those more experienced than I), and letting it cook, sizzle, blister, and pop outside (really ornery stuff - quite a sight to watch and listen to it attack!).  Most of the finish gave up the ghost quickly, but there are a couple stubborn patches I still have to work at.  To quote my project manager friend: the first 90% of the job takes 90% of the time, and the final 10% of the job takes the other 90%...

drbassman:
They carry it here at the Auto Zone store.  Works well.

That bass looks pretty ragged right now with some of the finish off and some still on!

Dave W:
Not sure what's in Nitromors but it's a heavy duty paint and varnish remover with the usual hazard warnings about the nasty stuff it contains.

drbassman:
Nasty stuff for sure.  It also roughs up the wood a bit, so I think it's best to get it off as soon its done its work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version