Author Topic: Strange EB0  (Read 8784 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Strange EB0
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2013, 07:18:29 AM »
Whether Gibson had anything to do with the way it looks today is impossible to say without further background and just looking at some pics. The bass does raise more questions than it answers though and I'm surprised how Chicago Music Exchange ignores all that and puts it up (and prices it) as if it were definitely legit.

The very thin maple veneer makes sense for someone who wanted the sunburst to turn out nicely - always an issue on a maho surface. And if he wanted the sunburst to turn out nicely on the back too, that needed a veneer as well. In any case a cosmetic thing and in all likelihood owed to the specific fin and not to any acoustic effect - the maple top and back would have needed to be much thicker for that.

I'm not discounting the possibility that if in '63 you would have asked Gibson to refin your EB-O in sunburst they would have said: "For that to look good, we need to veneer it." OTOH the likelihood of someone sending his bass to Kalamazoo for that rather than taking it to his neighborhood luthier is small.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2013, 07:22:02 AM »
Sheehan's bass has value because he did it.  An unmodded P of that vintage would be of more value than a Joe Schmo hack job or even a pro modded one.

I believe that's what I said.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2013, 07:31:04 AM »
I believe that's what I said.

Great, we're in agreement...next time jam some toothpicks and titebond in the holes.  Holds much better than plastic wood and can be re screwed immediately.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2013, 07:38:17 AM »
I'm not discounting the possibility that if in '63 you would have asked Gibson to refin your EB-O in sunburst they would have said: "For that to look good, we need to veneer it." OTOH the likelihood of someone sending his bass to Kalamazoo for that rather than taking it to his neighborhood luthier is small.

Were there alot of "neighborhood luthiers" in '63? And if there were some, were they hip enough to add a maple cap and spray a sunburst like that? Highly unlikely. I think its more probable that this was a one-off - a prototype, a trade show traffic builder or a favor to a known artist. This kind of stuff turns up all the time - why is it so hard to believe that Gibson actually built at least one of these out of stuff that was laying around?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2013, 07:42:55 AM »
I'm not saying that Gibson couldn't have done this. We just don't know. Or if it came out that way or whether the maple cap and new fin came much later.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2013, 07:51:24 AM »
Were there alot of "neighborhood luthiers" in '63? And if there were some, were they hip enough to add a maple cap and spray a sunburst like that? Highly unlikely. I think its more probable that this was a one-off - a prototype, a trade show traffic builder or a favor to a known artist. This kind of stuff turns up all the time - why is it so hard to believe that Gibson actually built at least one of these out of stuff that was laying around?

I see no evidence that this is a maple cap. It's probably mahogany.

There's no evidence that this was done in the 60s. Judging from the 70s Fender three color sunburst, I'd guess it was done in the 70s or later.

Yes, there were "neighborhood luthiers" in the 60s. A lot compared to today? No, but it only takes one to screw up a guitar.

Bottom line, it's not impossible that Gibson would make a prototype as you say, there's just no evidence that this is one, and a lot of evidence that it isn't.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2013, 08:15:35 AM »
some toothpicks

now that's what amateurs do  :mrgreen:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2013, 08:32:31 AM »
I see no evidence that this is a maple cap. It's probably mahogany.

There's no evidence that this was done in the 60s. Judging from the 70s Fender three color sunburst, I'd guess it was done in the 70s or later.

Yes, there were "neighborhood luthiers" in the 60s. A lot compared to today? No, but it only takes one to screw up a guitar.

Bottom line, it's not impossible that Gibson would make a prototype as you say, there's just no evidence that this is one, and a lot of evidence that it isn't.

What's the point of putting a maho veneer over a maho body bass?  ??? ??? ??? ??? I remember from my luthier that a lot of colors don't go to well with the reddish maho, translucent black turns brown etc,yellow seems to be an issue too. The top and back don't look to me like maho at all, more like non-descript (i.e. not fancy) maple.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2013, 08:55:42 AM »
I don't think it is capped, veneered, or refinished. Similar finishes can be found on many Melody Makers of the same vintage.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2013, 09:02:17 AM »
I don't think it is capped, veneered, or refinished. Similar finishes can be found on many Melody Makers of the same vintage.

'zactly. Some of the singlecut Juniors as well.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2013, 09:17:03 AM »
now that's what amateurs do  :mrgreen:

Yeah, the ones who read Dan Erlewine or have basic woodworking skills and own a chisel.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2013, 09:58:39 AM »
 Without up close inspection it is impossible to tell if this is original. I am not convinced that the bass is maple or mahogany capped, could be but I would need  the bass in hand to determine that. The sunburst is not necessarily "70's Fender" I have seen Gibson pedal steels with a similar finish.http://smg.photobucket.com/user/godofthunder59/media/1960Gibsonpedalsteel004.jpg.html
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2013, 10:03:11 AM »
If it's not even veneered then it's just a rare fin. Pricey for that.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2013, 10:43:58 AM »
My first guitar was a 1959 Melody Maker, bought new.

Here's my problem with the theory that the one at Chicago Music Exchange is like the Melody Maker or Junior/Special bursts:

1. This is definitely a 1959 or 1960 body. The narrow headstock puts it in that era.

2. All Melody Makers were only two-color sunbursts in 1959 and 1960. Junior and Special sunbursts were never three-color, they only exist as two-color sunbursts prior to 1961 and not at all afterwards in the SG shape.

3. All Melody Maker sunbursts, pre- or post-1960, were not sunburst on the back side. They were single color brown mahogany stain. Likewise with Junior/Special sunbursts.

4. Even the later three-color Melody Maker sunbursts had a narrower red and brown band and a larger yellow area than the one at CME. Dozens of examples on gbase. But this is really beside the point since this one has a 59/60 era body.

Beyond that, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2013, 10:55:12 AM »
What's the point of putting a maho veneer over a maho body bass?

Well, if you are a vintage dealer, and you get ahold of a LP Jr or Special - or even a lowly EB-0 - that someone has done kooky things to with chisels and DiMarzio's, you put a mahogany veneer on top, sand it, fill it, touch it up a tad on the edges, and there you go.  Vintage rarity.  Buy it now: prices go up Tuesday!
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.