Author Topic: Your bass philosophy  (Read 9567 times)

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
Re: Your bass philosophy
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2010, 10:34:02 AM »
My bass philosophy = play whatever you have as sloppy as you can.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2010, 10:58:02 AM »
However you do it, my Greek friend, play as sloppy whatever with aplomb!

To this day a totally sloppy, timing-inaccurate bass line, but sheer music. If I'm not mistaken courtesy of Ronnie W. though, not Ronnie L. who just apes it here (and would have most likely been more accurate).

Playing sloppy can get you a longlasting career with The Rolling Stones, so there!

Uwe
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 05:06:01 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2010, 11:01:44 AM »
It makes sense, its just r'n'r after all (but we like it).
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2010, 07:34:56 PM »
Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "play it tight, but loose"  ;)
Digresion our specialty!

Bargeon

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2010, 07:44:54 AM »
I was just listening to Nilsson's "Jump Into the Fire".  Anonymous but wonderfully foundational bass line!  Iconic, even.  (BTW--this is the long version...listen to it about 3:00 in where the bass line moves downdowndowndowndown to one of the lowest notes I've heard.  Happens again around 4:50.)

AH!  Just checked Nilsson on Wikipedia and found this interesting info......"The third single, "Jump into the Fire", was raucous, screaming rock and roll, including a drum solo by Derek and the Dominos' Jim Gordon and a bass detuning by Herbie Flowers. The song was famously used during the "Sunday, May 11, 1980", sequence in the film Goodfellas".

Great Pilgrim. Thanks a bunch. I haven't heard this tune in what, 25, 30 years, now I can't get the damn thing out of my head ;D

Just now caught myslef playing that opening bar where the bass first comes in in my head and wondering where it cam from. Took me another 15 minutes to track down this thread.
Dyslexics untie!

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2010, 02:45:37 PM »
However you do it, my Greek friend, play as sloppy whatever with aplomb!

To this day a totally sloppy, timing-inaccurate bass line, but sheer music. If I'm not mistaken courtesy of Ronnie W. though, not Ronnie L. who just apes it here (and would have most likely been more accurate).

Playing sloppy can get you a longlasting career with The Rolling Stones, so there!

Uwe

The Crocs have been playing the Stones song Bitch which has been going down well. If you youtube a few vids of them playing it you will find that not only is it as sloppy as all hell its different speeds and even feels. Like they just didnt care as long as the song got played. (not that I'm being critical here either).

The irony is that the last 2 times I've seen the Stones Jagger has had them drilled to the standard of military precision. Yet they still sound loose. Its great to watch.
Digresion our specialty!

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2010, 04:26:42 PM »

The irony is that the last 2 times I've seen the Stones Jagger has had them drilled to the standard of military precision. Yet they still sound loose. Its great to watch.

It's a hell of a lot of fun to play Stones stuff because of that.  It's great to be free from the shackles of click tracks or sequencers.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2010, 04:37:54 PM »
The Stones are the Stones, I'm not knocking them. They have their share of lame allbums (none as lame as Mick's and Keith's solo stuff though), throwaway songs and lacklustre gigs, but there are also excellent albums, some that grow over time (like Black and Blue), rock classics like Brown Sugar, Start me up and Miss You and concerts that are the epitome of rock. I've never been a fan, but they do what they do well. Like most people here I miss Taylor and Wyman who have been replaced by competent players without much sparkle.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2010, 05:02:06 PM »
there are also excellent albums, some that grow over time (like Black and Blue)

My absolute favourite Stones album, and would be one of my 20 desert island CDs.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Hornisse

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2010, 06:40:27 PM »
My first show was The Stones in June 1975 San Antonio.  Black And Blue came out the year after and I really loved that record.  I think Fool To Cry may be one of my all time favorite Stones songs.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2010, 07:44:28 PM »
Yep Black and Blue is near the top for me. Hey Negritta is a life long anthem. just one of those songs that seems for no particular reason to have become associated with quite a few "momments" in my life.
Digresion our specialty!

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2010, 12:00:42 AM »
I'd like to add that I'm looking to establish my own unique style.

Getting such a late start as a bassplayer makes that difficult I reckon.
Then again, perhaps it will become the very reason my playing is different, based on my drumming skills.

Muzikman7

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2010, 09:29:10 AM »
I never had a bass player I tried to imitate and don't really have a favorite. After I learn the basics of the cover we're playing I never revisit the original I do my take on the song unless I'm singing it.
Tony

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2010, 11:48:26 AM »
The Stones are the Stones, I'm not knocking them. They have their share of lame allbums (none as lame as Mick's and Keith's solo stuff though), throwaway songs and lacklustre gigs, but there are also excellent albums, some that grow over time (like Black and Blue), rock classics like Brown Sugar, Start me up and Miss You and concerts that are the epitome of rock. I've never been a fan, but they do what they do well. Like most people here I miss Taylor and Wyman who have been replaced by competent players without much sparkle.

Pretty much sums up where I'm at.  I've never really been a big fan of Wyman, but the Stones, when they're on are really hard to beat.  They have some of the most memorable and infectious rhythms in the history of the biz.  I think the track that always surprised me from Wyman was "Undercover of the Night", where he was noticeably aggressive and up front.  Funny that one of my favorite Stones song is one that Richards sang, "Little T&A".
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Hornisse

« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2010, 09:20:45 PM »
I always assumed it was Woody who played bass on Undercover Of The Night.  Sounds like a Jazz Bass and he used one on (the song) Emotional Rescue.  Richards plays bass on Sympathy For The Devil (a P Bass).  I'm sure there are others as well.