Author Topic: Your bass philosophy  (Read 9568 times)

nofi

• View Profile
Your bass philosophy
« on: October 27, 2010, 04:55:28 PM »
i 'borrowed' this quote from another forum but it sums up my approach just about perfectly.

"your primary role is to serve the song and be beautifully anonymous in it".
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 07:21:19 PM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
Re: Your bass philosophy
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 06:33:18 PM »
That may be a fine rule of thumb for a session guy but I'm sure Jack Bruce would say F that!

What I love to hear is a good HEAVY bassline that is either the backbone of the song or perfectly complements the guitar.
That's what I'm reaching for in my playing.

There are usually some good tips in Bass Player magazine.
One guy in there was talking about how when the band is grooving in 4 time & the drummer trips out for awhile in 3 time it's tempting to follow him into 3 but if you stick to 4 it's probly gonna turn out better.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 06:54:23 PM »

Soldier..................

In the 4 1/2 hours of music that we rotate thru for various venues there isn't anything that even remotely gives me the chance to shine, I downstroke 8ths and 16ths all night long. There are a couple i.e. "White Wedding" by Billy Idol that intro with just bass and drums tho.
 However I do not stand around and look at my shoes - I'm a big girl at 6'3" in my black platform boots and I enjoy moving around onstage quite alot so that make up for it a little  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 07:39:47 PM »
Every situation is different. Play to the situation.
Digresion our specialty!

Hornisse

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 08:02:45 PM »
My philosophy is simple:  Always practice at least 1 hour on the day of the gig.  Keeps everything fresh in your mind.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 08:48:19 PM »

That hits pretty close to how I feel.  However, I should note that "anonymous" doesn't mean the same thing as "unnoticed".  Think about numbers like "Time is Tight" and "Green Onions" (two of my faves) in which the bass leads the music - but it needs to be smooth and integral.  That doesn't mean it doesn't take a lead role.  I feel the same way about "The Peter Gunn Theme"....that simple bass line holds the entire number together, and if you ask people to sing it, they will always come up up with the bass line first.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 01:38:13 AM »
Play what you play with conviction, whether it is simple or elaborate.

And learn to play some thirds!  :mrgreen:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 02:56:53 AM »
there's a time and place for every style.  I just try not to over play.  I  hate that.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 05:47:13 AM »
i 'borrowed' this quote from another forum but it sums up my approach just about perfectly.

I like that quote ;D.
I view the bass as the foundation. I guess I'm a bit picky as to what kind of music I'm playing too. I tend to go for blues and jazz or anything that has a walking groove to it. Stuff with multiple chord changes that are only tied together by creshendos and accents provide little opportunity for a walking line and turn the bass into a shadow of the guitar, playing single root notes. I can only handle stuff like that in small doses.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing and it don't make me move if it ain't got no groove ;D
Rick

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 08:06:17 AM »
I was just listening to Nilsson's "Jump Into the Fire".  Anonymous but wonderfully foundational bass line!  Iconic, even.  (BTW--this is the long version...listen to it about 3:00 in where the bass line moves downdowndowndowndown to one of the lowest notes I've heard.  Happens again around 4:50.)

AH!  Just checked Nilsson on Wikipedia and found this interesting info......"The third single, "Jump into the Fire", was raucous, screaming rock and roll, including a drum solo by Derek and the Dominos' Jim Gordon and a bass detuning by Herbie Flowers. The song was famously used during the "Sunday, May 11, 1980", sequence in the film Goodfellas".
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 10:18:26 AM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 08:11:30 AM »
Every situation is different. Play to the situation.

+1.   Play to the situation.  Bass in a power trio is a lot different than a jam band or a top 40 gig.  A lot depends on the drummer......
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

GonzoBass

• View Profile
    • ReverbNation.com/GonzoBass
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 10:34:33 AM »
"Show up on time, play your guts out and don't write on the walls." - Henry Rollins
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass.com

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 10:53:56 AM »
Take a deep breath, and hang on for dear life.  Anything can, and will, happen.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 11:59:18 AM »
Soldier..................

In the 4 1/2 hours of music that we rotate thru for various venues there isn't anything that even remotely gives me the chance to shine, I downstroke 8ths and 16ths all night long. There are a couple i.e. "White Wedding" by Billy Idol that intro with just bass and drums tho.
 However I do not stand around and look at my shoes - I'm a big girl at 6'3" in my black platform boots and I enjoy moving around onstage quite alot so that make up for it a little  ;)

aren't you worried that someone may see up your skirt   :-*
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 12:30:36 PM »
aren't you worried that someone may see up your skirt   :-*

Hell no, he hopes they will!  :mrgreen: