Author Topic: Your number one musical instrument, the love of your life.  (Read 8830 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Your number one musical instrument, the love of your life.
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2008, 05:00:06 AM »
 Hell I have two hands I'd grab my Jim Lea bass to
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

nofi

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2008, 06:20:01 AM »
i have nothing like that but my son does. he bought a squier strat the first year they came out. 83 or 84? he only had it a couple months when a friend of his brother broke into our house and stole it. we were able to track it down to a music store on the other side of town where the guy had traded it for some pedals. it's really a fabulous guitar that originally was white but has yellowed nicely with age. everyone who has played it wants it so that must say something. still has a very old misfits sticker on it as well. ;D

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2008, 09:28:08 AM »
  Tsk tsk Bill, sold it when you got married a sad precedent has been set, must have taken years to undo.  I Love 'em all but I'd grab my '69 NR Thunderbird if the house was burning. My main bass since '78

The really sad part is I got rid of the wife too!  At least I ended up with a better one a few years later!!!  :mrgreen:
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Bert

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2008, 09:48:58 AM »
but I'd grab my '69 NR Thunderbird if the house was burning. My main bass since '78

There's a reason I can relate to. I do not have only one favorite at the moment. But if the house sets on fire I probably would take ehhhh,......... Chris's 4005 as I would feel very embarresed if I'd lost someone else's bass this way. Runner up is my own '73 4001.

'68 4001|'73 4001 MG|'73 4001 AZG (PW refin)|'75 4000 MG|'79 4001 JG FL|'81 4001S AZG|'86 4003 MID/BT|'86 4003 Shadow|'86 4003S JG|'88 4003s Blackstar|'89 4003 Grey/BT FL|'96 4003S/8 FG|'98 4003S/5 JG| 05 650D|06 4004 CII BBR||B-115|RB 30||?

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2008, 06:24:52 PM »
Mine is my 74 (erm.. thanks Ilan) Fender Jazz.  Got it when I was 15. Had it for 29 years now.
I agree with all of the comments about always being able to find another bass. There is plenty out there and many speak to me but if I lost this one it would leave a pretty hollow feeling in my life.
Just the personal Mojo alone means a lot to me.
I've been with it longer than my wife. She calls her "That blonde" or "the other woman".

For me other basses are made to fill the few holes this bass cant and to provide fun and a different perspective on things.

Digresion our specialty!

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2008, 08:32:56 PM »
I would have to say my '76 4001. For several years in the early '90s, I was trying to live the dream with music in a Massachusetts band called Jiggle the Handle. We never made any money, though, so the entire time my workhorse was a Fender Japan '62 Jazz Bass reissue.

I remember that band, I don't think I ever saw you guys though, but that is a memorable name and your band got around if I remember right, I'm from Millbury, very close to Worcester. I was in school at the time and didn't get out very much.
I got very sick during the mid 90's and sold the love of my life which was a 68 Candy Apple Red P bass with a 66 J neck on it. I owned it for 18 years and was my primary bass all that time. I had a fretless neck on it for a while, but went back to the J neck. It was originally a rosewood fretless.
I have several basses now and go back and forth over which is my favorite, among them a mapleglo 79 4001, a black 72 fretless P bass and a sunburst 2007 Gibson Thunderbird. I also have a 72 jetglo 4001FL but I don't play it often and a 69 EB-3, they'll have thier tu=imes though I'm sure.
I actually think my SVT's are the real loves of my life though. I can change basses and really become attached to them but can't change amps, I think it's something to do with bandmembers on fill in gigs automatically thinking you are going to be the loudest thing on earth and scowling before you even play a note. :mrgreen: Seriously though, it's the sound.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 08:43:44 PM by bobyoung »

Blazer

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2008, 04:32:27 PM »
Here's a picture of me with "the Veteran" prior to hitting the stage with the Punk band "The Worst" for our 2004 Christmas performance. I guess the look in my eyes says everything.

pamlicojack

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2008, 05:42:44 PM »
These are the only true loves of my life...

But if I had to choose one bass, I suppose it would be my 1980 Ripper.  My 78 'P and my 81 'J are both wonderful and I've had the J for nearly 20 years, but I can't imagine either of them being more versatile and sounding better than the Ripper...

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2008, 10:08:01 PM »
My answer SHOULD be my '53 Gibson EB....but it's my white Epi V bass!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2008, 05:02:59 AM »
Been my number one since 1978 - No other bass, can do what it can do, for me.

This is quickly becoming my next go to passive bass- This bass just gets better & better.

Funny it's like the story of the Blue Bird Of Happiness, you look for happiness everywhere else, when it's been right under your nose this whole time. GAS is dangerous.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2008, 05:10:52 AM »
I love the tobacco burst on that LP John. Very nice looking bass.
Digresion our specialty!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2008, 05:25:54 AM »
Thanks.

I feel so guilty about how much I like that bass. A lot of people bash them or disregard them totally because they are guitar bodied basses.

When I First got it, It felt uncomfortable to play, because of he carved top and slightly chunky neck. Once my luthier set it up, it plays & sounds amazing, a very versatile bass and I love having the three way pickup selector. What I have discovered about this bass is that the same qualities that make the LP a great guitar, transfer well to the bass. A great passive warm tone that has huge balls, that cuts through the mix with huge sustain. It's been everything I want in a passive bass that my RD lacks.

The other reason I feel guilty is I favor it over my 68 Non reverse, Fenderbird and my even my new Blueshawk. When recording I try various basses for various parts and the LP wins 90% of the time over the previous basses.

I'm not sure I like the Blueshawk just yet as it's tone is the total opposite, a thin single coil sound vs the balls out high out put of the LP.

My third bass would be my EB-0 project bass. I don't use it a lot, but nothing sounds or can do what a mudbucker can.

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2008, 06:04:30 AM »
Lefty 4001CS, one of only 4 made.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2008, 08:09:33 AM »
Well, we Dutch people have a history setting German buildings at fire. Like Marinus van der Lubbe did at the Reichstag. I could set Uwe's office on fire and take the blue Nonrev?

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2008, 11:33:19 AM »
Lefty 4001CS, one of only 4 made.

Verrry Coool & gorgeous Naples yellow!  :o