Main Forums > The Bass Zone

Big price increase on D'addario strings

<< < (2/3) > >>

Dave W:

--- Quote from: slinkp on February 09, 2018, 09:12:37 AM ---That's too bad. I've used D'Addario nickel roundwound 45-105 for years on all my basses.
They have always been the most economical nickel round strings I've found that have consistent quality.
I've occasionally tried cheaper strings, but never with good results.

Now I wonder what else is out there.

--- End quote ---

I've always liked EB Slinkys. Started buying the D'addarios b/c of the huge 2-pack savings. Last 2 times, I bought the Slinkys anyway, just like them a little better. Now the D'addarios are just as expensive.

After thinking about this, I'm wondering: did D'addario have a huge wholesale price increase, or have they just started enforcing an MAP? Maybe it's a bit of both.

slinkp:
Slinkys are fine, I seem to recall they are a bit brighter when new? Not sure, I haven't bought a set in a long time.

Granny Gremlin:
Dammit, I was just trying out switching to Chromes.

Dave W:

--- Quote from: slinkp on February 09, 2018, 07:53:29 PM ---Slinkys are fine, I seem to recall they are a bit brighter when new? Not sure, I haven't bought a set in a long time.

--- End quote ---

Last two sets of rounds I've bought have been Super Slinkys (45-100). I don't think they're brighter, just a bit different in tone from D'addarios. They are similar, though. IMHO probably closer to each other in tone than to any other brand I've tried.

--- Quote from: Granny Gremlin on February 10, 2018, 08:30:36 AM ---Dammit, I was just trying out switching to Chromes.

--- End quote ---

You might still be able to find some existing stock at a lower price, maybe through Amazon Marketplace or a small store.

amptech:

--- Quote from: slinkp on February 09, 2018, 07:53:29 PM ---Slinkys are fine, I seem to recall they are a bit brighter when new? Not sure, I haven't bought a set in a long time.

--- End quote ---

I only ever tested slinkys for guitar, and fell that the difference is only in tension. A 011 EB set 'feels' like a 010 set...
Don't know if it's like that on their bass sets.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version