Author Topic: New Fender Bassman tube amp!  (Read 9465 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: New Fender Bassman tube amp!
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 08:17:02 AM »
The only Rumble-Bass I ever saw was one at the old Torp's Music in St. Paul, it was there for several years, along with a couple of matching cabs. I hadn't heard one way or the other about reliability issues but it's not surprising.

rich briere

• "Do Unto Others"
    • View Profile
    • Rich Briere
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2011, 12:11:37 PM »
The Bassman 300 is a Fender re-badge of the new/"old" (discontinued in 2004 or 2005) Sunn 300T. I had one for two years and sold it. It's the ONLY bass amp of mine I have ever sold. I consider them unreliable, poorly designed, and just outright BAD sounding.

I only bought mine because I got in a huge debacle in the very first days of Talkbass with Rich Briere over a demo of the amp when it was new. I tried five or six of them in stores, all new, and not one functioned properly and one actually caught on fire.  He promised to ship a certified functional model to my local Fender dealer, publicly on the forum. A few weeks passed and the amp never turned up with the Fender rep at my dealer's, so I questioned Rich about it. Even though his prior posts were plain for anyone to see, he denied ever having made them and threatened to sue me through Fender for slander for justly calling him a liar.  He eventually threw around enough ad money that Talkbass's admins went back and edited our exchange a week after that to make me out as being in the wrong, and Paul Determan, TB's owner at the time, even went so far as to post my full real name and mailing address so I could be served by Rich without my consent.

So when I found a used 300T at local store that ran with no issues, I bought it and used it pretty often at band practice. It never broke down, but it never sounded good to me or the rest of the band. The guy I sold it to ended up loving it though, so to each his own I guess. I like what Fender has done on the tube guitar amp side of things, so maybe they can get one right, but I'm not holding my breath.

I always love reading stuff like this......It's pure bunk....but I love it nonetheless. Nobody EDITED your posts.....and no pressure was put on Paul. No MONEY was spent as every post I ever made in ANY form was made by ME as MY opinion. Fender never backed me or asked me to make any claims. I never liked the 300.......but the 300T is another animal altogether. I never knew your name (still don't) and have no clue where you live. If I did, I, personally, would have talked that area's rep into bringing in a 300T.  :)
I've Always Found it Best to Use MY Name on Things I Write...It Cuts Down on the Confusion...... Bass-ically Yours.......RB

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2011, 05:26:38 PM »
Helluva way to make an entrance: pick a fight with a moderator over something that happened over ten years ago.  :rolleyes:

Fortunately in this case, I have two things which help to alleviate my grievance towards you: first, I have the advantage of being truthful, and second, since I'm the mod here, I don't have to put up with your lies and allow you free reign to revise history here as you did on Talkbass.  I'll even be so generous as to overlook your childish petulant dishonesty and leave it up for others to see just how you're trying to split hairs to justify yourself. I'll even quote in it my post now so you will not have the ability to modify your words to accomodate the evolution of your story as you have done in the past in other venues:

I always love reading stuff like this......It's pure bunk....but I love it nonetheless. Nobody EDITED your posts.....and no pressure was put on Paul. No MONEY was spent as every post I ever made in ANY form was made by ME as MY opinion. Fender never backed me or asked me to make any claims. I never liked the 300.......but the 300T is another animal altogether. I never knew your name (still don't) and have no clue where you live. If I did, I, personally, would have talked that area's rep into bringing in a 300T.  :)

...and I'll even give you the benefit of the doubt that you may have something to offer this forum more than simply flame trolling and your trademark dishonesty, but you'll have to behave very differently than you have exhibited thus far. Please, enjoy the forum and feel free to contribute, but I caution you that your contribution must be factual and fight-free.  The decision to ban you is not mine, but it was already raised before you posted your troll and you have not done anything to make a case for the contrary.

rich briere

• "Do Unto Others"
    • View Profile
    • Rich Briere
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2011, 10:23:36 AM »
The only Rumble-Bass I ever saw was one at the old Torp's Music in St. Paul, it was there for several years, along with a couple of matching cabs. I hadn't heard one way or the other about reliability issues but it's not surprising.

Dave......When the Rumble Bass was first introduced my wallet parted ways with my brain...and I bought TWO stacks. I've always been a sucker for Fender Amps with White/tan tolex and Oxblood Grill-cloth. I used them for a couple of years and then sold them both on the same day. Both were trouble-free and sounded KILLER. IMHO, one of the best LOOKING bass amps ever created. :)

Bass-ically Yours,
Rich
I've Always Found it Best to Use MY Name on Things I Write...It Cuts Down on the Confusion...... Bass-ically Yours.......RB