Author Topic: The biggest Tomboys in cartoons  (Read 2221 times)

Blazer

The biggest Tomboys in cartoons
« on: November 21, 2008, 02:47:20 PM »
I guess we all know about them, knew some when we were kids or teenagers, those girls that weren't really lady like, or at least not yet. The girls who happily participated in fights, played football and had little to no message to wearing make up or other personal appearence. The Tomboys.

In cartoons there are a lot of girls who are like that too, let's name the most memorable.

First up here's probably the best known of them all, Peppermint Patty from "Peanuts"

Patricia "Peppermint Patty" Reichardt was the first female Peanuts character to wear pants. She made her first appearance on August 22, 1966. The following year, she made her animated debut in the TV special You're in Love, Charlie Brown and began (in the comics) coaching a baseball team that played against Charlie Brown and since has had other adventures with him. She calls Charlie Brown "Chuck" and Lucy "Lucille" and is the only character to do so. Peppermint Patty has trouble getting good grades in school, is known for sleeping through classes and getting in fights. Her general behavior is so masculine that her best friend Marcie always adresses her as "Sir" Peppermint Patty also has an ongoing one way crush on Charlie Brown but he never takes the bait.

Peppermint Patty on the phone with "Chuck"

Then there's Videl Satan from Dragonball Z

Videl is the daughter of world Martial arts champion Mr. Satan ("Hercule" in the censored version) so fighting for her is second nature, she is a brash tomboy with a 5 feet stature but capable of decking opponents of twice her size. She has lightning fast reflexes and packs a powerfull punch in those short stubby arms and legs of hers. She out does her father in every sense but because Mr. Satan refuses to train with her (As far as he's concerned her being his daughter made sure that she inherited his fighting power.) they both aren't aware of this fact. Videl frequently works with the local police forces in fighting crime. Videl later marries Gohan and has a daughter with him.

Videl fighting the Great Saiyaman, who turned out to be her future husband, Son Gohan. Easy to see why he didn't even try to fight her seriously.

Then there's Toph Bei Fong from "Avatar, the last airbender"

Toph is the only daughter of a very wealthy man and his wife and because she was born blind (Look at her eyes) they resigned to keep her very excistence hidden and raise her sheltered for they see her as a frail weak person who in their eyes is more of a human houseplant than an actual person. Nothing could be further from the truth, Toph learned how to "See" using earth bending: feeling vibrations in the ground beneath her and learning how to destinguish one person from another by their size, weight, heartbeat and breath, her powers even enable her to see a person's gender by just feeling them walk. After discovering this power and mastering it, Toph frequently escaped her parent's mansion and participated in wrestle matches under the name "The blind bandit" and a whole different Toph emerged, this Toph, belches loudly, spits, has no message to personal Hygene ("You call it dirt, I call it a healthy layer of earth") and actually goes out looking for fights. Because Toph is a short 12 year old girl, people underestimate her and that's usually why she always wins her fights.

Toph arguing with the other main female character from the series: Katara. Katara is Toph's polar opposite, she's lady-like, charming, soft spoken and motherly. With those two in the group it's not too uncommon to have catfights occuring from time to time.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Re: The biggest Tomboys in cartoons
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 09:50:49 AM »
What no ones piling on this thread?

I vote for Whinry from Full metal Alchemist and Harui from Oran Highschool Host Club

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: The biggest Tomboys in cartoons
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 06:18:27 AM »
Peppermint Patty, no doubt. Not only for her cute freckles and her groundbreaking hotpants. Like hers, my crushes were always unsuccessful too! (I don't rate the fact that I'm now together with my 1976 schoolyard crush - who persistently ignored me then - as an argument against that statement, after all thirty years is a very long time!!!)
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...